new truck time - any opinions?

thx to all for their input.

this post was actually for my daughter and her family. i've always had 3/4 ton chevy's and my son 3/4 ton ford's. i guess she just wants to different.

she has 2 toyotas with no problems, and i'm very impressed with what a person gets "standard" on a toyota, compared to chevy and ford.

she really was concerned about any problems you guys were having, if any with the tundras. but all your opinions were appreciated.

thx again, lee

Had a 1998 F150 with the 5.4 extended cab XLT. Never a lack of power or comfort. :inlove: I ran 33" tires and getting 12mpg. So I sold it when gas hit $4.50 a gallon. ;(;( (40min commute one way to work) If I had my boat then, I would have kept the truck. My 16ft hauls nicely with a 4.0l explorer but I still miss the truck. Soon I hope to replace it, but I just bought a house.

I was a all Chevy man with my vehicles and in 07 changed my path a bit and tried a new Tundra and am very glad i did so. I love the truck, I know Toyota has had many problems as of late but I have not encountered any issues and can not speak enough about the new Tundras. I pull a 24' Penn Yan a couple of hours to Lake Ontario and the truck pulls the boat with no problems. If you are thinking of buying a Tundra, go test drive one, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Paul

Go ford. I switched to a dodge 2500 HD with Hemi and regretted it ever since. Love the motor. Put a ton of money in to front end air conditioner, etc. Less than 60 thousand miles. Had to buy fast and made a mistake. It wont happen again. Just bought my wife a Ford Expedition El and love it. She had an expedition before that it it was an excellent vehicle

Ok, I've had 2 Tundras. A 2005 Crew Cab 4.6l V-8, great truck, zero problems in 60k miles a little under powered by today's standards, about 15-17 mpg. In 2008 I got the Crewmax with the 5.4 v-8, huge truck inside, small bed, 16-18 mpg, towed a 22 ft. Grady to the islands at 10 mpg. I have the TRD package and wouldn't recommend it because it is definitely bumpier when there isn't a load in the back. I have about 46k miles currently and zero problems (I had the recall done). Made in Texas. PM me if you want any more info but that is about it. Nothing to worry about with the Toyota.

John

As opposed to seasquirrel, I can strongly recommend Dodge. My previous 4 vehicles were Dodge Rams and they all were super reliable tanks. I put a lot of miles on and work them hard towing the boats and none of them ever let me down.

My 95 Ram 1500 WS was a simple little V6 2wd 5 speed stripped down base model work truck, it pulled my 19' Bayliner all over NYS and several trips to Wisconsin until it was tragically totalled in an accident in 1997.

Replaced that with a 97 Ram, same configuration and rode it just as hard and only put brakes and tires on it.

Traded that in in 2001 with 77,000 miles on it on a 2001 Ram 4X4 Offroader with the 360 (5.9L). Bought the 24' Thompson in 2002 and that truck pulled it like a champ and I was trailering that boat for the entire time I owned the truck, so it towed that big heavy boat a LOT of miles, up and down the Niagara Escarpment.

Once again, only put brakes and tires on it until I traded it in in 2005 with 97,000 miles on it and bought the 2005 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 Diesel.

That one, when I replaced the OEM brakes at 60,000 miles in 2007, I had to replace a U Joint. Other than that, a couple sets of tires was it when I traded it in with 86, 000 miles on it on my current Subaru back in June 08. The only reason I got rid of it was that was back when it was $5.30 a gallon for diesel and I just couldn't afford the $600-$800 a month I was putting in the tank, especially now that I keep the boat in a slip and only need a tow vehicle twice a season.

I couldn't have been happier with any of my Dodge's and I really wish I had the 2500 back, not that the Subie is a bad car, but I miss the Pickup.

Tim