Canidice 4-17 w/pix

I had no chance at getting out on the big O due to the winds but its never to nasty to get out on canidice! We fished for about 3 hr in the wind rain and snow only to net 2 small browns which were 2 of the maybe 10 fish we marked on the screen after trolling up and down the lake twice! both fish burping up alewife in the 2in range but I never seen schools of bait anywhere?

Io_cr.jpg

Many of the active fish and their prey at this time of year are up in the top of the water column and they will not really show up on the sonar. Drop an way point when you hit fish and go back and work it! Many times these spring fish are scattered by traffic but they are also scattered due to a lack of any temp stratification, so don't get too hung up on a particular presentation depth, be flexible and work the water column from the surface down to at least 30' down. The fish will 'tell you' what they are up to and don't be surprised when after a little while they tell you something different.

The secret is I run down riggers with a spin doctor and cow bells behind it and a white mr twister behind that I also put Velveeta cheese on the hook they are suckers for cheese this time of year! I call it the spin- cow – Mr. cheese rig

And if that doesn’t work I just run spoons that look like alewife 50 ft off the ball I think Chowder said it best “don't get too hung up on a particular presentation depth, be flexible and work the water columnâ€

I very my speed by making S turns all the way down the lake most of the bites come on the turn!

Good luck

First I gotta get down there and I definetly gotta get more set-ups. Have only one down rigger and no wire rods or dipsey set-ups. I do have an old seth green rig my dad gave me and I would love to catch something on that. I gotta a lot to learn and a long way to get there. But I still manage to have fun, but don't get out enough for sure. Thanks everyone for the tips I will try and see what's in my wallet for some new gear. Good fishing!