Orleans county/ Point Breeze/ THE OAK etc. tourism/launch

I'm on the road away from Point Breeze, but has any one seen or heard of the State Marine Park being taken over by the county? Any launches in yet? I HAVE ASKED THE QUESTION TODAY TO THE PARKS COMMISSION. (will post the answer .....if I get it).

http://journal-register.com/local/x1687 ... m-strategy

Over a month ago I had written an E-mail to Wayne Hale, the director of parks and tourism for Orleans county viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15608&p=87698#p87698. I have not yet to this date gotten a response as to a solution for the State Launch and park operation on the west side of the river. It is apparent that since the launch ramps are still not open by the state that they intend not to help enhance the fishing tourism in the area.

It is going to be hard to have the increase in tourism they talk about if the west side does not open, especially for the upcoming tournaments and derbies this year. I can only guess that as a result of overcrowding at the county park launch that most folks who come from miles away and different states will run into a very unpleasant surprise.

What would it take to get the county interested in taking over the management and operation of the state marine park?

The launch rate at the state park has been $6.00 in the past years, and although it is an expense I would have otherwise avoided by launching at the County Park on the east side, there are times when I was glad to launch and pay due to overcrowding at the county side. Even though I am local (13 miles) from the Point Breeze "experience" I would be rather disgruntled at the time of arrival to fish on the day and plans made with friends to go boating/fishing and have no place to launch or park. Time spent getting the boat hooked up and money spent at 8 MPG towing it, would be a huge waste and TURN OFF, to the next time planned for this activity. In essence, I would plan to launch elsewhere, probably NOT where I want, and of course the local business's would be lost in Orleans county due to this decision.

What can we do? For those who are avid fans of THE OAK/ POINT BREEZE, who travel to this destination on purpose and plan, we need input on this. Write to the park director, if this is a concern and add some constructive ideas to help open the state park in time for the tournaments and derbies and the summer rush of fun seekers who come from all over the country to Point Breeze. I would be happy to pay a little more than 6 bucks if necessary, to avoid driving another 20 miles to Sommerset or to Olcott or Sandy Creek to launch the boat.

Any body heard anything IN REALITY, as to a decision to open the State Marine Park yet? I KNOW THERE HAS BEEN TALK BUT I'M NOT SURE THERE IS ACTION, AND IT IS GETTING CLOSE TO DERBY TIME if not we need some ideas sent to the place where it makes some difference http://www.orleanscountytourism.com/con ... ankyou.php, and hopefully we get an answer.

http://www.allbusiness.com/government/g ... 693-1.html

Article about the "talk" of opening it.

http://www.oakorchard.org/announcements ... ssociation

Latest post on OONA.ORG March 5th.

Mark

If New York State can not use and operate it, then it should be disposed of by auction with public agencies bidding given preference. If no public agency wants it then a not for profit agency, then private operators have the opportunity to operate. A contingency clause shall require boat launching, marina operation open to the public or it reverts to the state. If the property is sold, mortgaged, subject to a law action, then it reverts to the state where ir could be passed onto another operator.

This should be for all parks and recreation areas being closed due to Albany's dysfunction in handling its affairs. I am certain that these areas can be kept open to the public without losing "money" as the legislature in Albany claims.

Our next act will be to recover from Albany all the money they budgetted for these money loser parks every year. We can not let them steal it for their member items to get re elected.

Skip, no launch docks in to the west as of noon today. It REALLY aggravates me that NYS has the gall to increase fishing licenses fron 19 to 29 bucks, an approximate 50% hike, and then limit our access to the lake. I will be putting ink to paper to my state senator and assemblyman. It would be nice if Orleans County took control of the west side, they seem to do a good job on everything to the east.

Remember that the people who can not operate these facilities properly and fiscally responsible will be the first to lose their jobs. They should be the answer to the problem, not Albany. Maybe they do not need summertime college kids, cutting all the grass. Automatic gates could collect gate fees. Users could take their garbage home.

Or just throw the docks in , walk away ,and let the fine people of this Great ( at least for now) country use it for free. Let the Sheriffs drive thru a few times a day and be done with it. How much would that cost? These guys are morons. They will still have do low level maint on it some way and keep some kind of insurance on it . WTF!

hmmm could untie some of those on the east side and float across..................

Ray....get Mick..bring bolt cutters.....meet at midnite....get it done....we will do the rest....like.....hord the parking lot the next day.....and fish our arses off :clap::devil:

Mark

Yes, we will have it open in time for the derby. Thanks for your interest and if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the office.

Thanks,

Jeanne Martillotta

Orleans County Tourism

Planning & Development

14016 Rte 31 W, Albion, NY 14411

Phone 585-589-3198

Fax 585-589-8105

Came from the county office this morning. :clap::yes:

Mark