An interesting question came up

Trap Jaw

So, my dad and I just got back from picking up the new boat, a Chris Craft 211 Scorpion. On the drive over we got to discussing the problems with outboards. Since we just sold one with an outboard, and will probably never own one again due to the issues we had with it, and a buddy of mine is having nothing but problems with his since it was rebuilt. Durring the discussion we started questioning which manufacturers have I/O's as an option. We couldn't come up with any. After a while online tonight I couldn't find any either. There was a time when I/O's seemed like standard power and outboards were the option. Now I can't even find a boat that has an I/O as an option, well other then the Starcraft Islander.

I guess I should note, we were talking about boats in the low 20's in length. I know there are still boats in the 28' range that still have I/O's. But is there none in a working man's size boat that I don't have to subject myself to the horrid outboard. I guess until they start making them again we'll just have to keep buying 30 year old boats.

Most boats produced these days are ready for use in salt water.I/Os and salt water do not like each other at all.The only way to use an I/O in salt water is by adding a heat exchanger preferably in the hull so the salt does not get in the engine cooling ducts.

Outboards are much more salt tolerant and can be very easily cleaned.

Most companies will therefore sell boats with outboards.

Trophy still produces nice V-hull walk-arounds in lengths in the low 20's where you can get a sterndrive as an option (2152, 2352). I have an '08 2152 with a I/O and it's the best boat I've ever owned.

Hope this helps,

- Chris

The only boats that really have outboards in quantity are fishing style boats in aluminum and some in fiberglass under 20 ft. Over the past 15 years the market has moved toward the I/O as the primary source of propulsion. Either option can be problematic but my own experience has been that the I/O option has cost me more money in terms of repair.