Universal Test line

I am a total beginner on a limited budget ( aka "a wife") so I was looking to make my setup be as diverse as possible. I have started out with the plan to target fish in the shallows. I have two line counter reels (Daiwa Accudepth 47l) on Cabela Depthmaster 8 1/2 ft. downrigger rods and have been using them to fish shallow(with no luck) using inline planer boards. I put 10lb mono on them with flourocarbon leaders to start. Until I save up the scratch to get a downrigger I was thinking about getting some 107 size Deeper Divers and trying to fish a little bit deeper water.

My question is, is there a good line to rig my reels with that will let me move from shallow fishing to deeper (using a diver), without the need to change line. Or is that asking too much and I need to stick with one or the other. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

One method might be drop weight rigged with big jon jettison release's that will save the ball and you can reel back in. another might be the smaller disk divers, with that light of line and those rods the larger diver wouldn't work for you. there are a variety of divers best thing is to visit a tackle shop and look around or get some advice from them, sure some of the guys here have some better ideas also then mine lol.

Universal line for Lake Ontario - 30lb. main line with a 15lb. or 20lb. floro leader. Back in the day, you could use lighter line. Today we have to deal with sea flees and light line year round is a thing of the past.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to make sure I was clear by the way I worded the question. Not so worried about using the same line year long I don't mind changing it out over the season. I just want one that I can use in the span of one day, going from shallow to deep (over vice-versa) looking for fish.

I guess also I have a new question. Will the 8.5 ft Depthmaster rod(12-25lb line) be ok for a 107mm Walker Deeper Diver?

No. You want a higher quality reel and a diver rod. I woudl suggest Diawa Sealine SGLCA reels and Diawa Heartland 9'6" diver rods. I would spool them with 30lb. Malin wire instead of mono. Wire can get you down 100+' in depth.

If those are Accudepth Plus reels they'll work just fine. The original Accudepth reels were junk and Daiwa scrapped them after only a couple years, but the ADP's are essentially the same reels as the Sealines in a graphite frame instead of aluminum. Same drags etc. I have 4 of the ADP47LC's doing duty as my braid and mono diver reels and they work great in those applications, they'll work just as well for wire..

other than that Gambler's advise is dead on.

Tim

They are Accudepth Plus reels. I did plan on some point of switching over to wire and getting a Diver Rod ( I do realize that is the best way, thank you for the tips). I was hoping to be able to use what I have to go back and forth from trolling shallow with my planer boards to trolling maybe 40-50ft deep. But sounds like that is not a good idea and should specifically setup for one or the other.

I would think about using a lead core set up. I don't know if you can use those reels for lead core but when you are in shallow you could send out 3 colors when you move deeper send out all 10. A normal lead core might have a 40 foot mono leader, then the core, then some braid or mono backing. Add a Watermelon NK 28 and you are good to go.