Quest for Pike cont. at Black Creek 5/21

Continuing my quest for a decent pike before I return to CA the 31st, I decided to give Black Creek in Churchville a shot.

Paddled from Churchville park all the way to the bridge (don't know what road). Went over a couple trees in the kayak figurin no boats have been that far up.

Slow... Not a hit at all my spots. No signs of life. After a few hours, managed this guy... Not what I had in mind.

100_2837.jpg

Then the bite started to pick up in the shallow, weedy coves. Got nailed a few times, but they wouldn't hook! I would see them slam it, but no stick.

I had a big trailer hook too, didn't get it. Started to get a little frustrated and worried I would come up short.

Finally as it was about time to leave, I tried my favorite little spot and sure enough got slammed!

Right away I knew he was hooked well and he stripped a whole lotta line and buried himself into some weeds.

Finnally ended up into the net!

100_2842.jpg

Taped out at 24.5''. Not my biggest pike, but good enough. Sure enough, he was hooked on the trailer.

100_2844.jpg

Never ate pike before. After some youtube studyin on the y bones, filleted him up relatively easily.

Boy was he good! mmm

Let's see if I can get a bigger one before I go.

Any idea why I had so many short strikers? Should I down-size the bait? Try a different color?

Phil

Phil,

Glad to hear your having some luck. I take it you bagged the overnight idea? As for so many no hookups could be anything might just be a murphys law thing...have you tried using a treble trailer? Well I hope you hook the monster your looking for. If we dont talk before you leave on the 31st take care have a safe trip home and keep in touch on the board.

Tom

sounds like fun you got me thinking about it after you posted that post I cant really say we've slept over night but we've fished from 6pm to 6am before...lol we've caught monster catfish quite a few eyes most of the eyes are just keeper size we haven't landed any big ones but I know there in there...the catfish usually average about 6 to 7 pounds we've caught them as big as 12lbs , love fishing the river...even if you dont catch anything you usually see lots of wild life...well make sure you post if you make it on your adventure..take care,

Tom