Which reel is best for copper line?

47LC is to small my friend

No divers are ran off copper, an often misconception don't feel bad, ran as a flat line mostly

Tekota is a quality reel (no more than 500' of our copper) bit pricey in comparison avg price $220 to $290

Penn has largest capacity (not a bad drag but a poor gear ratio, can hold up to 600') avg price $200 to $220

Okuma can be attractive in price (max for us to load 450') Not a bad reel will do the job avg price $140 to $150

The new Daiwa is out for decision, low capacity (approx 300') high gear ratio price $235.00

Lots of options

HIH

Tom

Deaf Fisherman,

Are you thinking of coffee or smoke "colored" stainless steel line to use with your Dipsy diver? Typically the "brown" or silver colored line used as a wire Dipsy set-up is not copper, but 7 or 19 strand steel line:

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... e_Line.htm

True copper line is much thicker in diameter and not usually used with a Dipsy:

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... g_Line.htm

Hope this helps,

- Chris

momay4000,

yes, that's exactly one which I saw several fisherman used that kind. I planned to use that coffee stainless steel line to use with my dipsy diver.

Thank for point it out for me!

Really appreciate to help me out with that. I will make major mistake once I already brought it. But thank god.

Now, all of my situation clear out now. But one last thing, what kind of reel i should use along coffee stainless steel line?

Any advice, anyone?

Deaf Fisherman,

A 47LC is the right size for 1000' of 30lb wire, I also use the 47LCA's and like them.

Put some electrical tape on the arbor so the wire doesn't slip and make sure you spool the wire on very tight or it will cut into itself and bind. To make sure it's tight enough I usually attach a tripped dipsy and let all the wire out my first time out.

If you're starting from scratch and need everything, A TOM MIK sells complete rigs with either Daiwa's or Tekotas all set up, ready to go

FYI,

Copper line is used like lead core but it will get deeper than core with less line out, 300ft gets down 60+ ft

mudflat-

Thank for your advice! I really appreciated it.

Seems like I got all information that I need to know about wire line along right reels. I hope I have everything set for the fall run.

One little question, what is the difference between the 47lc and 47lca? I can't able to figure it out.

Thank everyone! I really appreciated it.

The LCA has a metal frame and ball bearings, therefore more expensive, while the LC is a composite frame and bushings.

They both have similar or the same drags and either will work fine.

If you go with the the LC make sure it is an Accudepth Plus, older LC's (not the Plus model)had problems with the drags.

To compare them check out www.fishusa.com

LC has bushings and a black composite graphite/plastic spool

LCA has 2 ball bearings and gold anodized aluminum(metal) spool.

both reels have graphite frame with metal outer rings. out of the two, I would go with LCA, specially for wire diver application. I would think a graphite/plastic spool will evetually crack under pressure.

Better then the above two is the new LCX series, way better/smoother drag, corrosion resistant bearings and a power handle :) a very nice reel for $135 IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mark,

You have tried my dipsey set up on my boat when you reeled in the dispey. It was the Okuma Convector reel with stainless steel wire.

When you come back to Rochester in the fall, I am more than glad to show you different reels: Okuma and Daiwa LCA for the wire set up and Tekota 400' and 500' for copper set up.

BTW, I will have a blast watching you pull a 25# king on the 500' copper!

Anthony