Trailer Tire Help odd size

Need tires for my trailer..... The current tires are 8.75x16.5 LT....... .... Called GY..... don't have.... neither does the warehouse.

Called a trailer shop...... got a confused response...... 16.5???

Seems the 16.5 is an odd size and with an "E" load range.......

Anyone ever run into this before...... Sears has goodyear workhorse RIB 8.75 x 16.5 LT advertised on their website, but Goodyear is unaware....??? WTH? Whats RIB?

Can I use 16" rims with the same bolt circle and a similar or greater load rated tire????

Dear Mike,

Call Factory Direct Trailers, 585-265-1366 in Ontario N.Y (right on 104 East before BE Tackle) and ask for Craig Wilson. Tell him what you need in a trailer tires...8.75 X 16.5 Load Range E. He will find out IF the tires are available. He carries Carlisle Tires which are excellent product. The Big Box Tire Stores have very poor tech/sales people in my experience. I have found the 16.5 Rims at E-trailer, but no tires! 16.5 tires were known as the "Duplex Tires in the old school. Had these tires on my former 10,000 Capacity EZ Loader boat trailer. They were 140 each in 1990!!

I will bet that they will have to come direct from a National based warehouse. Good luck!!...........Jet Boat Bill....Webster, NY

Your 16.5" rims will not fit 16" tires. The RIB is the tread type. If the trailer is in really good condition and the 16.5" tires are becoming a PITA to find on the shelf, I would think about 16" rims with the same bolt pattern and off-set as your 16.5" rims.

"E" rated tires are about all you want to afford($$$), to pull a boat. They are 10ply tires...

John

Thanks for the answers....

JCR ...... Your suggestion is what I was hoping for when asking about 16" rims......How is the offset measured?

Measure the distance between the inside rim lip and the inside mounting surface. Check the clearance you have now under your fenders, you may have room for a slightly different rim off-set.

John

Mike,

Been down the road and had to replace more tires than I'd like to talk about. I thought I save a few bucks and put decent radials under the Lund and yes I bought them at Sears. Found out that trailer tires are built different, stronger cords in the side walls for strength. They do ride a lot different so I found after spending $ 135 each. Trip to Canada last year was a tire on the trip up AND on the trip back I blew the other one. Good thing I stopped at Watertown Goodyear store and replaced the spare.

Steve