reserve america?

I'm sure some of you have used this service. It is the system in which you reserve or pay for camping at our NYS parks. What I am wondering is if anyone knows a way around them.

That system charges a $9 fee for every reservation made. This is above and beyond the campsite cost and goes to the company not our parks. My complaint is not the amount but the percentage of what we pay that the parks don't see. $9 fee for a $21 campsite x 2 nights = $51 $9=20% of the total. For a 2 night stay :(:(

After calling a local state park today and trying to get around that system, I was informed that is what they use right at the office. Even if you walk in and buy a site there is still a $2.75 fee that goes to RA.

I still want to support our state parks and this won't stop me. With the talk of closing several of them this year, they could really use that extra.

What are your thoughts on this??

unfortunately I think that is the only way to reserve a NYS park campsite.

I was unaware that they still charge that if you go to the park the day of and get a site, I have never paid that much attention

I used reserve america fathers day weekend for sampson state park and was prompted by the website that I could only reverve the site for 2 nights and not just one...when I asked the people at the park admissions if that was a new policy they said that you could rent a site for just one night they didn't know why the website was prompting me that way but said they would look into it so anyway we had to check out at noon on Sun. but had the site rented until Mon. :(

Seems like everything is fee based because different vendors are doing the work. At least Reserve America is located in New York not like your fishing license. That point of sale machine is connected to somewhere out of state. Not sure about to where, but NJ and a lot of states is connected to a guy making a killing in Tennessee. You would think they would have someone close to home and keep the economy here, but it is cheaper to ship the work out. Sort of like where all the jobs went...OUT!

http://www.answers.com/topic/reserveamerica