Seneca Watkins or Severne ?

We looking to troll Seneca for the 1st time, I'm about 1/2 hour or so from either launch. Any perferences to which area would be best right now? I usually fish spring, fall and winter, and leave summer to the tourist and fleas, but I'm trying summer this year and figured its a good time to start looking new fishing spots.

We have a pretty good selection of SD, flies and spoons on DR and boards. If we get on the water between 5-6AM, what would be the best setup to start with?

Thanks,

John

id go for severn its free and the fish settel in that area a tad more ..id start out with stix for the first hour in 30 to 70 ft depending on down temp,,,if ya just wanna start spankin lakers stick to the 90 to 100 dow and run near bottom spinnies at 2.2 to2.4 just keep em up 10 to 15 ft they will find them and if you dont pay attention heading north the bottom will sneak up on ya...here and there .fish shoulkd be so or north so your choice ....but i always go north and look for that scumline that forms just above long point and maybe even head a tad east in that line... just be aware north of long point the shallows come out pretty far on the west side so watch yer depth ga. and riggers..

ditto what ray said. He is correct on the bottom changes last time i was out was in 118 fow one min next thing i knew shallowed to 36 . that can claim some gear just keep an eye at the FF and you should be fine. do you have dipsys? 250' out is a good starting point

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Thanks for the ideas...

With any luck, I should be at the dock in Sevren at 6AM tomorrow. I'm fishing with my wife and my animal rights activist daughter. Should be fun...sorta. I really hope she doesn't name them...then start throwing them back when I'm not looking. Now, if they tasted like bacon, she would stand there with the net telling me to reel faster.

John

I've been back at camp since yesterday have not been on water ( my lab's still some what sick) but we have been getting some heavy wind out of the north that will be pushing the "good" water out of the area. So you will have to look for them. If you fish the east side around Lodi (north or south of it ) with a sw wind be on the look out for the weeds to "move" in on you some time after 8:30 am to 10:30 am if they are not already there. Me I would give the area right out in front of Severne a shot going north and turn back just before the shoals start below the showboat. Nothing going head over to the east side straight across and troll north. Keep a eye out for LARGE weed pods as you come up to Lodi Pont and the point a mile above it. Watch for "flat water" when you see this weeds are what causes it some times thick some times just foalters.............good luck and have fun.

ERABBIT,

You know you're lake... The weeds and monster ball were everywhere this morning. Biggest problem was the fleas grabbing the line, then the weeds hanging on the fleas. Spent the trip hauling gear. Man that bottom comes up fast when going North... Spoke to a few other out there, same problem. Marked fish up high, 40' in 130FOW, but with fouled gear we only had a few bitters and no takers.

Can't wait fish Sevrene again, nice launch and only 30 minutes from the house.

When do the weeds clear off?

John

• 10 months later...