Oak 7/3-7/4 Yankee Derby Fishing

7/3 - We headed out today with a four man crew. My GF, brother, my brothers friend Adam, and myself. We were in derby mode! Looking for that grand prize winner! We went a few miles West before we set-up because I knew there had to be a temp break that way. Reports from Olcott were that the temp was a lot higher than what we had at the Oak. I figured if I found that break it could be layered with fish. We never did go far enough West to find that break, but we started to pick at the fish a few miles West of port.

Our program today was 3 riggers, 3 wires, and 2 coppers. We started out fishing 150-225, but ended in 130. Out in 150-225 we couldn't keep the 8-12lb Rainbows off our lines. It almost got annoying. I say that because these fish didn't have much left in them at all after their little fight. We tried everything trying to revive them, but the water is so warm up top, and they spent so much energy jumping and putting on a show for us. With the high sun our HOT spoons the last few weeks just didn't have it in them. We threw down the high sun go to's and it was on. Northern King Copper NBKs, Later Gators, and Dreamweaver Midnight Specials on the riggers. On the wires we ran a Wonder Dot SmarFish with an A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly, Dreamweaver Gator Spin Doctor with an A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle, and a Dreamweaver Hawg Wild Spin Doctor with an A-TOM-MIK Sweet Pea fly. Our coppers were 500 and 400 pulling a Green Dot SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist Fly, and a Green SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Green Hammer. Everything took fish today.

Late morning we decided to slip in tighter to see if we could get a few Kings. They had been missing from our catch the whole morning. Once we hit 130fow off the flats the Salmon began to show themselves, and they didn't want metal. It was strictly a fly bite. We took a few smaller Salmon and teenagers before we hit the 20lb mark. Our big guy of the day tipped the scale at 22/23 pounds. He took the Hawg Wild Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Sweat Pea fly. Here are a few pictures from the day.

DSCN0532.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

7/4 - Today was GF day on the Yankee! LOL My brother and his GF, my GF, and our buddy Rob and his wife. Lets begin by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the USA! We were after one fish today, and that was a 30lb+ Salmon. We never found him, but we beat up on his buddies all morning. We started in 120fow and only left that later in the day for 140-160 to stay on top of the Kings. Today was all about the paddles.

We ran 4 wires, 3 riggers, and 1 copper. Only rigger that was run clean with spoons was our center rigger down 70' and it was pulling a pair of DW SS VQ Green Dolphins. Our deep rigger had a chrome Dreamweaver Spin Doctor with an A-TOM-MIK Sweat Pea cheated with a Dreamweaver Midnight Special. Our other corner rigger had a Hawg Wild Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIk Sweat Pea cheated with a Stinger Nuclear Green. Our wires had the Gator Spinny/A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle, 42nd combo on one side set 175 and 250 respectively. A Wonder Dot SmatFish/A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly, and a Green SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist set 200 and 275 respectively. The 42nd and the Green SmartFish were just on fire first thing. Once we put the attractors mentioned above down on the riggers they took over. Most everything fired today except for the low wires. Everyone caught Salmon today, and we all had a blast.

The fishing continues to be great out of the Oak. Actually, the fishing is GREAT all up and down the lake right now. We found the area 6 miles East of the Oak to be our best. Easterly troll was better than a Westerly troll. Very strong currents out there today. Here are a few pictures from today.

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

Rick,

Thanks for sharing a great detailed report with photos.

I like it when you made sure everybody on the boat has derby ticket so you could do a real derby fishing.

I had to argue with my older brother who was visiting us from Brooklyn about buying the LOC derby ticket. My brother simply does not believe in me. I told my brother that I spend nearly $8-10K a year on my fishing addiction so why would I give it all away for the lack of $30 LOC ticket. So I ended up buying the LOC ticket for him(me).

Good luck on your LOC steelie fish.