Third Trip to Ontario

I've got to say, I'm glad I added Ontario to my regular stops. I made my third trip to Olcott on July 2nd and 3rd and can say I'm an expert at hooking fish! :D:D The problem is getting them in the boat. I'm seriously going 1 for 10 or less, but am starting to figure out the right drag settings and boat speed issues. Also not horsing them is helping. A third body in the boat would definitely help, because reeling and netting while my wife drives has been a challenge. Got several huge Steelhead this trip and a few small kings that went back to grow. Lost some fish that felt huge, but never got to see them.

Anyway, after three trips I'm starting to notice something and wanted to bounce it off of you guys. When I hook up, I immediately mark a waypoint and have noticed that my hits are really clustered in a few areas outside of Olcott. Is it typical that a single area holds fish month after month while others don't? I realize that I pick up one or two outside of these areas, but with nowhere near the consistency. Maybe I just need to expand my trolls and find other hotspots, but I'm attracted to the "sure thing" which may not be good. Your thoughts??????

Yes. Salmon use baitfish, temperature and currents as their "structure." When you run into them, try to observe what else is going on in that area.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks LongLine I realize I have a lot of learnin' to do and am having a blast. Since your talking up, I've got another question. I see a lot of folks run wire with dipsys. Since I can get down to 100+ feet with a magnum dipsy, is there another reason to run wire? Are these folks shooting for depths that can't be reached by a dipsy alone or is there something else going on? Since I've only got an 18' boat I've been using two riggers and two dipsy rods and was wondering if I need to add a wire rod in place of a dipsy.

I'm also surprised at the strength of the currents in that lake. I don't have down speed on the balls, so I watch how far they are pulling back and have noticed that at times I can be doing 3 mph and the rigger wire is still going straight down. I try and adjust speed accordingly. It seems that trolling with/against/across the current yields different hit results too.

BW, If what you're doing works well for you, why change? Wire is another weapon in the arsenal. It helps with fleas & the hit will be more "vicious" as it doesn't stretch. If you can get down with no problem & have no problem with releases, hookups or fleas....

Yes downspeed matters. With/across/against currents will often yield different results. Somedays you can't buy a bite in one direction. As to currents, don't be surprised if when you're hardly moving, the cables are out at 45 degrees. Personally, I like to go across the current for best speed control.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BW, If what you're doing works well for you, why change? Wire is another weapon in the arsenal. It helps with fleas & the hit will be more "vicious" as it doesn't stretch. If you can get down with no problem & have no problem with releases, hookups or fleas....

Yes downspeed matters. With/across/against currents will often yield different results. Somedays you can't buy a bite in one direction. As to currents, don't be surprised if when you're hardly moving, the cables are out at 45 degrees. Personally, I like to go across the current for best speed control.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

You just answered my next question that I've been searching this forum for. FLEAS.........I saw that Andes pink line and a brand by Cabela's was supposed to help. If wire works, that's where I'm going. I spent wat too much time trying to get them off of my line last trip. If wire fixes that, I'm all over it. Thanks Tom!!!!!!

BW, If you have problems getting fleas off you lines try reeling them up until they are about 8-10 ft away from your rod tip, put rod tip in the water then whip it straight up and out of the water. They'll be cut right off. But be careful that the lure is not to close or it'll jump at you. Some guys smack the surface with the rod tip, but I'm always afraid of breaking the tip.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BW, If you have problems getting fleas off you lines try reeling them up until they are about 8-10 ft away from your rod tip, put rod tip in the water then whip it straight up and out of the water. They'll be cut right off. But be careful that the lure is not to close or it'll jump at you. Some guys smack the surface with the rod tip, but I'm always afraid of breaking the tip.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Been doing that with limited success. The real problem is when you're bringing in a fish and they ball up at the tip making it almost imposssible to real in. If wire reduces the problem, I'm willing to give it a try. You guys have a great fisherie up there and I'm looking forward to years of excellent fishing. Too bad it's 5 hours from my house. See you July 22-24.