just got sub-troll??

Hi, I am still very much a rookie fishing on lake ontario only boating 1 king. I have just installed a new sub-troll on my boat. went out fishing the other day and had to let out 175ft on the downrigger in 200ft of water to get down to 53 degrees. I am using 13# torpedo to help with blowback. I do not think this seems right. If this is normal how would i know exactly how deep i am? Oh, my trolling speed was staying right around 2.5mph at the ball. We were marking fish around 80ft but never tripped a rod. I am very new to trolling on the lake so any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks again, Joe

Joe - Depends where you were fishing. Interesting thing about the lake is that while you're marking a certain temp, your buddy who is only a mile away can be seeing something entirely different.

Here's that latest temp transects. Each "tick mark" on the upper graphs is a hair over 3 ft.

transects7-16-10.jpg

From the reports I'm seeing, we may have a major upwelling in the next week or so. That'll bring the cold water way up.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Remember that the sub troll and the depth raider both read about .5MPH lower than GPS speed, so you were probably really doing about 3 mph at the ball. You can check this by putting your probe down about 5 feet and check your speed against your GPS. At that speed, you are going to get quite a bit of blow back with your probe. I run a 13 pound slim darter (like the Attomik torpedo) with my probe. I don't usually go much more that 2.0 on my depth raider when I'm fishing really deep like that.

Are you by chance picking up your downrigger weights on your depth finder? That is the easiest way for me to tell how deep they are running. My guess would be - you were at least 125' down if not more depending on currents at those depths.

Shawn

I am not sure if i was picking up my weights. I was showing what i thought was bait fish around 80ft down but it wasn't all the time. That is why i figured it was bait fish and not the weights. Plus i figured if i had 175ft of wire out on my downrigger i had to be down deeper than 80 ft. Any more tips?? thanks again!!