Sodus PRO/AM- second place Open Division- both days

First, I'd like to congratulate Team Boxed Out for taking first place in the Open Division both days, and biggest fish on Saturday with a 25.95 pound king! They just beat our biggest fish by .75 pounds! They almost screwed up on Sunday by bringing in a box of three browns, one of which was undersized. That cost them 12.37 points (10 for the fish and 2.37 for weight), but still managed a score of 17.45 for the Sunday win.

I fished with my fishing buddies Mike McCoy and Rich Johnson on Mike's boat 'Irish Wake' (thus the team name) out of Port Bay.

Saturday started slow with a couple of dink browns. Then about 7:30, we were just resetting a rigger rod when one of the wire rods started screaming. Mike grabbed it, and fought it for about 35 minutes. When the king hit the deck, so did Mike. I think he was more tired that the fish! When we weighed it on the boat, we thought we had a 27-29 pound king. But the official scales said 25.2. We gotta' invest in better scales (or new glasses)!

We managed a full box for Saturday, but the other two were just 19.5" kings, giving us a total score 60.28.

Sunday was rock and roll time. I'm not sure how many boats were entered that day, but there were only four that registered by noon. We started early with three fish on in the first half hour, but all three were lost. Then as the sun got higher in the sky, everything just shut off for us! We tried deep, shallow, and in the middle, with no luck. We tried just about all the lures we had, when finally, around 10:00, we managed a small laker, and that was it. We almost didn't enter it, but then thought that if we were struggling, maybe there were others in the same position. As luck would have it, there were only two other teams with fish. Our 5.1 pound laker gave us the second place win for 15.10 points.

This was the second time we fished the Wayne County PRO/AM. We had a blast (even with Sundays occasional six & seven footers)!! It was great seeing and talking to some of my LOU friends, and meeting a couple of new members. See ya' next year. Great memories!!

Tight lines,

Jim