Dunkirk- 8/25-27

walteye

Did not have a good feeling about the walleye fishing out of Dunkirk cause of previous posts-but went anyway. 3 days of limit eyes (one day of rough water caused me to have the biggest pigs)-plus lakers to boot. A lot of active marks starting at 120 fow and going to 140'. Thermocline to 70-80'-fish coming up to that depth and going back down-screen goes nuts in that depth of water for the most part. Reefrunners (Barely Naked and Cheap Sunglasses) and Renosky Chatterstix (Blue or purple) did the trick-along with harnesses in watermelon with copper back. Walker Deeper Divers setting #1.5 at 135 setback would put you @ 70' ( as seen by the Lowrance). Slide divers @ #2 hit at 250' feet back. Friday I had a Walker with a Stinger Kervokian spoon go off like a freight train and would not come up-the fish was just bulldogging down-finally it snapped off an 18# Seaguar leader-must have been a HOG Lake Trout!

Walteye

Tony-I did not fish in water shallower than 118'. If I had to do it again (and would love to) I would start looking in the 120 depth and work deeper from there to 140'. The thermocline is running in the 70's at those depths and the screen just goes wild like I have never seen. Marks coming up and down in the thermocline plus big bait balls. I did not slow down in the 70' depths so I cannot tell you those screens-but the fast screen was not pulling in a lot of color as i went through those depths on the way out to the 120's. Don't get locked into one lure-no matter how often it worked in the past-keep changing up. A lot of the eyes were spitting up a lot of bait-so you got to really entice them. I was also running 10 color lead and a 2 oz snap weight to get down, besides the Walker or slide diver. I did not know that on Thursdays you cannot launch at Dunkirk if they are having music on the pier-they were not too happy with me when I came in! Hey-but I had pigs in the boat!

Walteye