Daiwa Saltist

After reading some reviews on this reel, I picked one up on Ebay at a good price. Its the larger 50 size but the lower 4.9 gear ratio. I only have the one reel and am wondering what people would recommend the best way to utilize this reel, ie. mono/downrigger, wire/dipsey, copper, etc? My current set up is 2 Daiwa SG47LCX w/ 30lb big game on the downriggers and 2 Daiwa SG47LCA on the wire dipseys. I'm new to this so I'm keeping it simple until I get a better handle on what I'm doing. Given the price of the saltist reels, I don't want it to just sit there. It also feels like an amazing reel, better than any other linecounter I've used.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the levelwind, not line counter 50 saltist, and use it for my 10 color leadcore reel with 300 yards of 50 lb power pro as backing. Your reel would easily be a good leadcore, or 300 copper reel. You might even be able to fit 400 feet of copper on there if you put just a little less backing. I love the drag on the saltist. My vote would be a 10-12 color core. You could always add a little weight on the core to get a little deeper.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the look and feel of these reels alot so I bought a 2nd one. I thought about copper or leadcore. I'm brand new to trolling (and boating for that matter) and am a bit nervous about using copper. I have a pre-spooled okuma with 300 yds of copper so I may experiment with that first. I may just put mono on for now and use them off the riggers. I learned a long time ago not to skimp on reels when fishing for salmon.

One more question. Would the saltist reels be good for wire line?

We use the 30 size Saltist levelwinds for both riggers and divers and LOVE them. The 30 size will hold close to 1,200' of 30# wire and they've been a great wire reel for us this year - they're plenty big enough for wire diver use IMO. They have a fantastic drag and the high gear ratio makes picking up line a breeze - they're a significant improvement over the lower gear ratio reels that we've used in the past. Good choice in reels chinook266!

DSC_0595.jpg