Knocking noise from the transom

fishless

Ok heres whats going on. at trolling speeds i get a LOUD knocking from either my bell housing or transom ring.

It sent me home early from a trip to Olcott this week. I got home and pulled the outdrive off. the gimbel bearing is new and still good. I own the expensive engine alignment tool. everything is good there. now my bell housing moves side to side I think way to much and the transom ring move up and down alot.

Would this make a noise like i am hearing? The outdrive and driveshaft are ok other that maybe my prop is out of balance.

Somebody help me please ,my old battle wagon ain't catching fish this way.

thanks Jim

There are flaps that keep water from coming back into the engine that have rubber on them. Over time the rubber will wear off and you will hear a clapping noise at low speeds. I had mine replaced 2 seasons ago and they are doing it again. When my gimball bearing went, it made my boat sound like it was a deisel engine not a gas engine.

Transom and stringers where replaced two years ago by a marina in ohio. they took the top half of the boat off to do it. the owner before me showed me the bill. glad i didn't have to pay for that. :o

I replaced the bellows and gimble bearing for good measure before i started fishing her.

Hank, I will check to see if I did seat the bearing all the way in. may be my bad. The owner before me used it as a ski boat. :lol: so I think he was kinda hard on it.

Thanks a ton guys.

Jim