Help college student out with salmon stocking info..PLEASE

2thdoc

My brother is a colloege student who is doing a report on the sustainability of the salmon stocking program for Lake Ontario. He has checked the DEC website, The Salmon River Hatchery site as well as others and can't find the info he needs. He needs yearly numbers, the last 10, showing comparisons of lets say fish hatched and released to the money the fishing industry brings in. In other words, data that can show if the stocking program is viable, how good or bad is it, is it proving to be sustainable, and is their a direct relation to the program and the fate of the fishing industry. He has found plenty of sites writing about it but no sites with info that shows actual numbers he can use to make graphs and charts for his reseach paper. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dave

Dont mean to be harsh ,but a collage kid asking fishermen (survay)how we feel the stocking program is doing in our own opinion is one thing we should help with..

BUT for us to do his homework is another,maybe if you lent him your computer he could do some online searching..

Gese im justa 12th grade plummer and I could find it.

And the answer is: GOOGLE

Search "Lake Ontario annual report" on the DEC website. Look at section 1 of the 2009 report.

Search: "Lake Ontario fishing expenditure". Seagrant does a report every couple of years. In 2007, Lake Ontario T&S fishing brought in over $100 Million.

You can also correlate fishing license sales to stocking.

Send me a copy of his findings, okay?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey Musky - you know how I meant it. ;) I'd like to know if he reads it the same way I do. The stocking program is indeed very viable and has a tremendous payback to the local economies. :clap: It's been great for fishermen too!

Hey 2thdoc - Tell "bro" to google the US General Accounting Office (GAO) & Great Lakes fish/restoration expenditures. They also have done in-depth studies that show tremendous paypack. Like from 93-03 states & Feds spent close to $300M (fish, staff, hatcheries, ships) and got a return well over $1B.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I spoke to my brother yesterday and was emailing a DEC officer who was sending him a ton of data. He is doing the report for a math based class so he needs the actual numbers not just text on the topic. Sounds like an interesting subject and I will be sure to share his findings with all on this site. Thanks again for your help...you guys are great!!!

Dave