Chautauqua Trip - Oct 17, 2010

I got home from the honeymoon in Aruba late Friday night, had all day Saturday to settle back in and then headed out on Sunday to try my luck on Chautauqua. I had my brother and Joe with me and we decided to try some casting. Water temp was 55 deg.

It wasn’t long before my brother hooked up with a good fish casting a 8 inch LEO jerk bait. The fish followed Todd’s bait all the way to the boat and Todd went right into a figure 8 and it followed it but wouldn’t hit. Todd then did a quick cast back in the direction the fish swam off to (only like a 15 foot cast) and as soon as the lure hit the water the fish crushed it! It was really sweet to see. After a short battle, Todd landed his first ever musky. The fish measured 38â€, a quick photo and back she went.

38.jpg

After that we headed over to Bemus Bay where again Todd hooked up! There he was doing a figure 8 after every cast, just like he saw you doing and this time he had one following deep on lure that hit right at boat side on his figure 8. Todd quickly hit the “free spool†level on his reel and played the fish by thumbing the reel. He landed the baby musky after a short battle and couple jumps. This guy was small (still had spots on him!) but Todd’s technique through it all was impressive for a first timer. Again the fish came on the same LEO jerkbait.

Feeling slightly discouraged watching my kid brother totally out fish me at my own game, we moved spots up around Pendergrast. Todd again with the same LEO hooked up on a good fatty! After a good battle, he landed the fish. The fish was 40†long and had some impressive shoulders on her, nice healthy and FAT! All three of Todds mukies were released unharmed and swam away immediately after being unhooked. We did have to cut the hooks out of the big girl to prevent any disfigurement. All were released in perfect condition to thrill some other lucky anglers some day.

fatty.jpg

Todd ended the day with 3 muskies and he was working the bait as hard and as fast as anyone I have ever seen. So hard and fast infact, that he actually snagged a sunfish right through the side using that LEO on one cast – it was pretty funny! This is the second trip in a row now my brother has "caught" a pan fish on an 8" lure!

Despite getting totally out-fished in my own boat by my younger brother, it was a great time that I wouldn't trade for nothing! My new boat ran great and I can't wait to get back up there and try again! Oh and the honeymoon was awesome incase you were wondering :inlove:

Chad ,ya ant been married 3 weeks and your sucsess rate has droped to "O" ...

Glad ya had a great time,hope the wife did too!!(honeymoon)

Things went well while you wer out tho Hank had me sayin 100 hail marys for one of my out of line post my knees and knuckles are still sore.

dont be shy about some pics of your trip im shure ya got some good ones from your "cruise"...Its always nice to see otherparts of the world just remember "fAMILY SAFE" not how to start a family...

Welcome home kid.(opps and wiffy too)

Larry –

I never thought of it that way, but you are right! I happen to love watching others hook up anyways. Todd was thrilled and shaking the entire time so that was pretty cool to watch. I get the same way when I hook one no matter what the size.

Ray –

I will post some pictures from the honeymoon this afternoon. I have a really cool video that I want to share as well. Look for that coming soon…