MerCruiser oil drain tube

Misty IV

It is a major PITA to drain the oil on my 4.3L V-6. There is very little room between the bottom of the oil pan and the hull. I have tried the device that sucks the oil out of the dipstick tube, but it didn't work very well. I read about a device that replaces the oil drain plug in the oil pan with a petcock and a rubber hose. Essentially, you feed the rubber hose out of the bilge drain in the transom to a bucket or other oil collecting device and open the petcock, allowing the oil to drain out. When the oil is done draining, you simply close the petcock, and refill with new oil. The hose coils up in the bilge until you need it again. I cannot find this part in any MerCruiser part book or on the website. Does anyone know what I am referring to and can give me the part number? Thanks much!

Hi !

I had a boat with the drain hose and it works but very slow even with the oil warm . I like using a Moeller extractor

and it's great for a bunch of differant uses . I just used it to prime my fuel system after I change my water seperator filter because I was having a hard time drawing the fuel up with the primer ball.

http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarke ... xtractors/

Good Luck !

JT

use a drill pump out the dipstick?

I tried that, but it didn't work very well for me. Some friends say it works great, but I couldn't get it to work well at all. Even had those friends try to get it to work and they couldn't. Have no clue why. I got the oil pan drain kit from West Marine over the weekend and hope to install it this weekend when I start to winterize the boat.

hmm, sorry to hear of your bad luck..i have trouble with my drill pump too, its a PITA to bleed it but once i get it going, i dont stop.. :lol: .. oils gotta be nice and hot. The marina leant me the pump they have that runs right off the battery, the pump is about the size of a starter, drained my 5.7 merc in about 2 minutes...i would like to get the setup they had. good luck!

use a drill pump out the dipstick?

I tried that, but it didn't work very well for me. Some friends say it works great, but I couldn't get it to work well at all. Even had those friends try to get it to work and they couldn't. Have no clue why. I got the oil pan drain kit from West Marine over the weekend and hope to install it this weekend when I start to winterize the boat.

The oil has to be hot or it will not suck it up the tube. I was just doing mine the other day to get it ready for winter. I had to run it for about 15 min to get it hot enough.