NRA? Looked like best forum for this...

YodaMage

So I am a long time gun owner. Though I do not hunt, I target, trap, sport, etc... shoot. That said, I am a supporter of the second amendment, but not in the drastic, overboard, extremist way the NRA applies to it. I would like to support an organization that protects our rights and keeps an eye on big brother but in a sane manner. I have scanned the internet...and crazy enough, I only find the lobbying organizations and arms of the extremes. Either it is assault weapons at Rite Aid, or ban ban ban. Anyone know where the middle ground lives?

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of organizations out there that basically take the politics out of it that you are not interested in. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Pheasants Forever, Quail Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, Mule Deer Foundation, etc. They are more interested in protecting the species than politics, but still maintain a portion of their proceeds to lobby in Washington for programs under the Farm Bill, Forest Service, etc. May be the middle ground you're looking for.

Bob

http://scopeny.org/

If you are a shooting enthusiast, and prefer not to get all the mailings that NRA spends on us asking for money and causing anxiety over the political issues that are threatening your right to keep and bear arms, like... unless you act now, it will be doomsday for everything to your slingshot. I understand money talks and some is good but overboard is just what you said. Then S.C.O.P.E. may be it. Senator Maziarz is an active member of this organization in your district. We not only have to worry about DC, but also NY on the matters of what is our constitutional rights. Check it out if you haven't already.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with you. No one needs a Ak at the checkout at rite aid. After seeing how unions, politics, etc work, Example would be, If you had a boat and would like $200 dollars for it. You need to ask $300, the person paying is going to offer a $100 and with luck you would end up at $200. (Then they take the tax out lol) I know in Ny outdoor news or any other source, it amazes me some of the bills that make it to the floor from peta, shark organzation. For everyone that gets turned down they rewrite to vote on them again. One recently I saw was for a ban on blackpowder limit, which was so low it would make bullets illegal to have. If the other side wants all guns banned you need one side to ask for all guns. That is just my thought. Any club that represents your interest would be a good choice but some time they need to be a little out there to get to the middle.

I have "owned" an M16 and a .50 Browning and yes I did some "hunting" with it,but I never felt very strongly about gun ownership as such. My feeling is that gun producers created groups like the NRA and use them to sell more guns. Their objective is profit and like any other big interest lobby they are more than happy to spread fear in order to increase their profit.

The best way to protect your freedom and your first and second amendment rights is to sign up for the armed forces as a grunt and use that gun against people that shoot back at you.

Oh ,in case you wondered,people with flat feet are accepted.

As for becoming a member of a group that is not so fanatical,I suggest a club that is called "Veterans Of Foreign Wars" ,they have chapters all over.They are usually gun owners and most of them are not afraid that the government will take their guns away.