Harris BiPod or ? (check out what we came up with instead)

chowder

I'm breaking in a new yote eliminator (Savage 22-250, floating bull barrel,accutrigger,etc w/ Mueller 8.5-25x50) and I need a better bipod than what I've got which is a inexpensive Harris knock off I have on my old Savage 222.The el cheapo unit I've got has pretty short legs and doesn't swivel. I've looked at a few different possibilities but the 'tall' Harris unit, extends to 27", looks like it would give me the most options. Anybody using one of these tall, swiveling units that enables a shooter to shoot from a regular sitting position? They don't give these things away at $150 w/ the quik swivel lock option but maybe they are worth it? I'd probably use it on my 7mm Rem Mag for some much needed Doe management work too.

Years ago I tried a tall bipod that a buddy of mine bought. I thought it would be great for the antelope hunts in Wyoming. After trying to shoot at my 400 yd range I found out that I couldn't hold steady enough in the sitting position for long shots. Maybe it was just me but there seemed to be a tendency for the bipod to sway especially if windy. Be sure you purchase it someplace where you could return it if necessary.

High Bidder

andy , for the amount you would use it id say save yer money..I dont care if its a tree or bypod ya still got a lot of possable movement on the stock end of the gun er um rifle..

How about a 5 gal pail some food products come in they are alittle taller than most pails.. Get one of thos cushie tops ,,rig it like a trappin pac or carry it like Muskies lunch pail then ya can toss in some extras maybe a goot seat if ya set up in some brush ,,

And in a emergency could make a great carry out toilet..

i have a couple of them and i use them all the time,the best part is when your calling, sitting against a tree the but stock will rest against you shoulder leaving your hands free and you gun still pointing in the rite direction, the only bad thing is they seem to weigh 11 lbs more at 4 am on those moonlit nights.

If your not the one calling but need some stability i just bought a adjustable monopod for my son it was like 39 bucks , it adjusts anywhere from 24 - 65" i think, but you have to keep hands on the gun or it toppels over .

• 2 weeks later...

We wound up getting this whole swiveling bench rest rig for less than the bipod. http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-BIAAR03B ... edium=feed We developed a system for dragging it around on several farms in a ice fishing sled and used a cheap pop up blind to provide a wind break and cover for the whole setup. I'm telling you this setup was the bomb for doe management w/ plenty of support for long range shots (I took 2 does out past 300yds w/ my 7mm Mag. using it) 2 of my landlords, and 2 buddies used it as well, so it was instrumental in taking numerous deer. If you leave this rig setup overnight, which we did most of the time, you want to get some plastic under the feet so they don't freeze to the ground. Best part is now I've got a nice shooting bench too! -Andy

Andy, I agree with high bidder. Seated bipod can't compare to prone shooting if prone is possible. I have That 27" and use it only if necessary. BTW I have the same Savage mod. 12. 22-250 accutrigger with the Mueller irraticator. But mine is on a Choate/Plaster sniper stock. The whole thing weighs about 14# heavy to carry but a solid shooting platform.

I have chuck kills out to 610 yds. 50 gr. Rem. Accutip.

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/catalog_p ... wProduct=0

0db430b6.jpg

Dag, Pete a 610 yd chuck shot! That's seriously impressive! I realize that I sure have a lot to learn in order to get a handle on this predator hunting thing (the guy who got me started into this stuff moved out of the area ). First off I can see that you and High Bidder are right about the sitting/tall bipod issue. We were successful w/ the rotating big game bench b/c it was really just like sighting in at the range, but the whole setup was pretty awkward to move around and it only worked for 1 day at each farm & then the does would simply stop feeding in the open (but not b4 we got a few at each place ;) ). Any way we got some does killed & I now have a decent shooting bench.

Following up on your post about prone shooting I found some good info on the correct form to assume for using the shorter bipod for prone shooting and I can see why this is considered the best position for long range and varmint hunting. I'll have to study up on this whole thing & hopefully my son & I will have some fun w/ the yotes this winter. Thanks Pete and High Bidder for your comments & please pass on any more tips you have for getting into the long range shooting action! -Andy

Hey andy forgot to tell ya to keep yer eyes out for a good used tripod for camera use. I made a portable tripod with one a few years back ..I duct taped a homemade rest on top but one of those premade forend supports glued to a small pc of 1/2"ply with a "t" nut would make for a reasonable cost portable tripod... it can be lowered to 2 ft where i can shoot off it standing up or raised up for tall guys like you.