any smallies in Cayuga?

Hi all,

I am new to this board. I live in Maryland, but I will be visiting family that lives in Ovid, NY on Lake Cayuga for several days beginning July 4th. I usually fish shallow rivers for smallmouth from my kayak. I'd like to catch some Cayuga smallies or largemouth. I will be staying around Sheldrake Point. I use artifical lures exclusively for the sport of it. Anyone have advice on lures, depth to fish, etc.? Tubes, grubs, spinnerbaits?

Thanks!

i ant much on the bass but if ya got some experience plan on some dock (shallow) fishing and some 30 ft stuff too, now ya take a white grub with a 1/3 oz head and a ultralight with 4 or 6lb and ya might find some landlocks in the am,there was a guide who went to the sanders website and he covers the fingerlakes really good Capt. John . cant think of his last name, shelldrake is famous for laker fishing you might get some early trolling near shore if ya got a rod holder so you can paddle and troll ..

I dont have my map on me so Im not sure where the point youare talking about is. I fished there for years but have choosen not to go there much anymore becasue the fishing got really tough. Cayuga was one of the prmier bass lakes in NY a few years back. OK, back to what you ned to do to catch bass in there. For smallies fish the points with spinnerbaits and jerkbaits in the morning. Charteuse is always a good smally color. LAter on in the morning hit the insde weedline for them. INto the afternoon I would target the outside weededge for them. The LM will be mixed in with the SM. For strictly LM go to the North end and fish the huge weedbed up there. Jigs and plastics will work.

Mr Troller,

thanks for the advice. I've gotten in one day of fishing so far. You were correct. Fishing is TOUGH! I've never seen water so clear. I watching the carp swim around on the bottom in 20+ feet....gin clear. I've seen a ton of perch and carp, but only a few largemouths from a distance. I also see a ton of abandoned spawning beds....but no smallies. I'm throwing a spinnerbait a bunch...I guess it's just a matter of time before one eats it. I'm also throwing a white tube...no takers yet.

Tomorrow's another day!!!