Downrigger/Planer Board Wiring Questions

ReelPower

Gents,

I have to bring power to four Cannon riggers and two Cisco Planer Board Reels. Existing fuse panel at helm is full. Dual battery w/Perko switch next to the batteries. 1988 Bayliner Trophy 2160 Hardtop.

Got a quote from a pro who wanted to install a second breaker box at the helm and run lots of wire from the riggers and reels for lots of money. No can do.

I'm considering an enclosed fuse box like a Blue Sea Systems grounded model mounted next to the battery switch, on the side of the engine compartment and well above any bilge water. Then I'd connect the riggers/reels w/10 ga and 30 amp fuses. Id get a fuse box with some extra slots for future expansion.

Is this feasible? Do you have any recommendations?

Also, I need to mount/install switches to control the planer board reels. Cisco offers a system for about $100 per switch. Any alternantives out there?

Thanks for any input. Mates can't @#$^@# about cranking 15lb balls or hard pullin' boards anymore.

Jarrett

I wired in an additional fuse block for my riggers and other electronics by one battery and the battery switch with no issuse.

I have the powers leads going to the fuse block and the ground wires going to a ground bar with screw in connections.

The hot wire from the fuse block to the + on battery switch and a - wire from the ground block to the - terminal on the battery. I'm pretty sure I used 8 ga wire for the main connections.

Seems like any 3 way toggle switch rated for marine use will work for your planer boards.

$100.00 bucks, it's probably nice but seems pricey.

Glen

Make sure you add up the amp draw of the riggers & board motors & then fuse appropriately at the red (+) side of the battery, I am a big fan of breakers, so you can reset them (fuse size must be the size for as many as you might run at once, or you can split the fusing up).

Good luck!!!!!!

With 12 volt DC systems, the shortest wire run from the battery is best. Running your wires from the battery, usually in the stern near your engine, to the bow, then back to the stern is not a good idea. Set up a separate system from the battery for your riggers.

I burned up a rigger feed wire once when a cannon ball wore through the wire in the tray while in heavy weather and some fool was pounding his way out to catch the dawn bite and shorted it out. Smelled like "wires burning". They sell a four fuse holder that has separate fuses for each rigger and the smaller fuses are better for safety sake.