Help Mounting Downriggers

Skook

Hello,

I have an Alumacraft V-14 (aluminum utility with narrow gunnels), and I just bought two manual Big Jon Gadabout riggers (first ever) from the classifieds on the LOU forum. Trouble is, I don't know how or where to mount them. I'm afraid a board across the stern may interfere with steering my tiller motor and/or my transom-mounted electric motor. Also, it may be in the way if the motors need to be tilted. Another issue is that I may at times have my two kids, and maybe my dad, in the boat while fishing, and so mounting on the middle seat may be problematic as well. Plus, the Gadabout has a short boom, and so the cable may rub the side or bottom of the boat while turning if mounted in the middle.

Are the available clamp-on mounts up to the task?

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I have an old 1963 alumicraft 14 ft and I plan to mount some manual proos riggers to the rear corners where there are some hand holds there. Haven't done it yet but I figured that they could be mounted to a board and use big C clamps to hold the board to the gunnels. or you could maybe fashion a wooden bracket to rest on the sides of the last bench in the boat and give you room to sit and maneuver the motor. but in any case I think making something from wood for a bracket to clamp to the boat and mount the riggers to that would be my idea. maybe a 2x8 or 2x10 piece of board would be sufficient to brace on the seat and gunnels with big C clamps. some engineering is the hardest part.

I mounted some smaller cannons on my 14' Blue fin . I used a 1" thick oak plank that went from gunnel to gunnel ( with a small block that locked over the outside of the gunnel on each end) . this plank then was held down with a carrige bolt thru each oarlock - this set up worked great and you could mount additional stuff ( like rod holders) on the plank - using this setup the riggers were in front of the 'drivers position' on a tiller steer boat and readly acessible if fishing alone - it also worked great if fishing two people because the person on the front seat could also readily reach it. Of course depending where your oarlocks are it may block the center seat.

I also used cannon clamp on mounts on a smaller Starcraft boat I had - they also worked well - but the put more strain on the boat sides.

You could also consider scribing a 2x6"- 2x8" board to the curve of the side of your boat, mounting it to the seat tops down each side from the back seat to the center seat ( to create a shelf along each side) and then using a couple of pedestal mounts ( or some sort of blocks you make up) to get the riggers up over the gunnel height

Try mounting a board (i used a 2 x 6) to the oar locks and then mount the riggers to the board. On my old 14 fter, the oar locks were in between the the drivers seat( tiller) and the second seat. that worked out great as either guy could set the riggers. It was easy and cheap to do. But i guess it depends where your oar locks are. Easily removable too.

I was also able to mount the FF to the middle of the board as well. I used the gunwale mount downeaster rod holders and they worked great too.

RR

Thanks, all. I like the idea of using a board bolted through the existing oarlocks, and I will think about that some more.

Another idea I had after posting was to have Big Jon's available 4"x4" mounting plate welded to the aluminum (I think) bracket or brace at each of the rear corners. With the bolts and nuts running through the transom and gunnel to anchor this piece in place, I do not believe there would be enough room under this brace to get the four mounting bolts through with nuts on the underside. However, I am pretty sure the top surface is large enough to accomodate the 4"x4" mounting plate if it was welded on. Of course, this is dependent upon finding a good aluminum welder that wouldn't cost a small fortune.

Good or bad idea?

A buddy of mine years back used a 2x10 extended about a foot on each side where Oar locks are. Put rod holders on it as well as small cannon riggers. Ran 4 rods easy. 2 down & 2 12'rods for flatlines for good spread.Front guy could run rods so back guy could concentrate on steering. Also had his depthfinder mounted under board so he could see it. Was a SAFE way for small craft & did real well as he could get in very shallow for browns.Got to use your common sence in a small boat.

Maybe you could use the inexpensive pedestal risers mount one in each of the back corners.With 2x6 over the motor.With riggers and rod holders on it.Eye bolts threw your oar locks .Run cables from your eye bolts using snap hooks to the 2x6 going up the sides of the boat.Cable will steady the board and help keep you in the boat while setting lines and fighting fish.Use large c shaped vise grip claps to attach pedestal base to corners.Can take off easy when not in use or trailering. Overtons has 13 " risers for $19.99 each.

After setting up several small ( 14') tiller steer boats I would definately recommend keeping your riggers and rod holders in front of the rear seat- IMO its safer, easier to set up lines , easier to watch lines while trolling ( especially if fishing alone), and makes it easier to fish with two people

Well, I might have gotten a bit hasty, but today I ordered a 12" track from Traxstech, along with a 6" swivel downrigger mount and a 12" backing plate. My plan is to remove some flotation foam from under either the rear or middle tank seat and anchor the track and backing plate to the seat. At this height, the downrigger should just be over the top of the gunnel according to my measurements.

Should I mount it to the driver's seat (rear) directly across from where I sit or the middle seat? If the middle seat, which side (I sit on the right side of the rear seat)? I think I am only going to mount one rigger for the time being until I learn the ropes, and until I recover, financially.

Would anyone have any concerns running an 8 lb. ball from such a set up? My trolling won't be very deep, probably 30 feet at the most for brown trout and walleye. I'm hoping the 12" track and backing plate, along with the aluminum tank seat, will be up to the task. The nice thing is I can remove the downrigger when not is use, which will probably be most of the time I am using the boat.

Put the rigger in front of the tiller seat. Believe me. You will want to reinforce the rigger with 2 blocks of wood on each side of the seat. The rigger will rip thru the seat if you dont. If your mount is with wood backing plates on both sides an 8lb ball will be fine.

RR