Figura: A crossbow is not a bow and arrow in this state.

L&M

I live in Ct, and am fortunate that this state has a disabled crossbow permit. I had to take a bowhunting course, and get a Doctor to sign off on the permit, then had to meet with a DEP administrator, to further prove my disability, and take a (so called) advanced bowhunting course. I think it's a good thing NY's taking a first step, and a shame that the bowhunting group is against it. I don't feel the amount of people with disabilities using a crossbow will make a dent in the big game populations of the state. Makes me wonder if there's something more to it.

I am an avid archer. I bow hunt much more than I think of gun hunting. I am pleased with the decisions made concerning the use of crossbows. If you are able to draw and hunt with a vertical bow than do it. Don't wimp out to higher technology for ease of use.

I think the disabled laws could be more forgiving, for example seniors should qualify. Ny has had the disabled permit available for some time, but I have never known anyone to pursue one nor hear of anyone using one.

Archery hunters are a rare breed in which some of us fight technology. Many of us have resorted back to longbows and shooting fingers and are not looking for newest toy on the market. I would like to see a week or two early season for just traditional archers. Say Oct 1-Oct 15 :clap:

I'm trying to see both sides but cant justify using a shoulder fired trigger operated weapon outside of gun season. I would be very disappointed after the thousands of arrows I shoot in a year to EARN that early season to see someone take a X-bow out of the box and go hunting. ;(