Bottom Paint?

motocross

Yes, it needs to be both epoxy barrier coated and bottom painted. The epoxy barrier coat is essential. Despite what we intuitively think, fiberglass/gel coat is NOT waterproof. Your boat can gain several hundred pounds of weight from water intrusion over the course of a season and that water also promotes rot in the wood stringers, transom etc.

Even in fresh water without bottom paint you'll have a nice thick shag carpet on the bottom of the boat at the end of the season. How often depends on what kind of paint you use.

Lots of good info on West Marine's website on bottom painting.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... r-Articles

check out the Paint and Maintenance articles.

Tim

I had my boat barrier coated and bottom painted. I add a new coat of bottom paint every season. I used the Interlux 2000 barrier coat and VC17 bottom paint. At the end of the season, the bottom of the boat has a very thin layer of slime. It comes off with ease with a good power washer. No need to acid wash the bottom.

Aluminum boats need an anti fouling coat that does not contain copper. Aluminum and air is fine but aluminum under water has an electolytic problem and copper and aluminum do not do well together resulting in the aluminum going through a pitting process.

• 1 month later...