what are the regs for small boat and motor

FISHBANDIT

Picked up small row boat and motor. Its registered, I wear a life jacket and have a wistle. I dont think I need flares as the boat doesnt have lights. Do I need a signal flag? Dont think I need a fire extinguister? What am I missing?

Picked up small row boat and motor. Its registered, I wear a life jacket and have a wistle. I dont think I need flares as the boat doesnt have lights. Do I need a signal flag? Dont think I need a fire extinguister? What am I missing?

Hey FISHBANDIT!

Congrats on the new rig! I registered here at LOU last Spring when my girlfriend and I dragged home our first row boat, and now a year later and fully addicted to boating we are picking up our second, larger boat this week. I can tell you from personal experience that you should definitely read and comply with all the safety regulations. We were stopped by the DEC on our row boat last year, and we were missing a couple PFD's and what not. We only got a warning, but we were turned around and forced in, which ruined our day of fishing, and could have been worse. Ever since I've tried to be sure I'm in full compliance with the regulations for operating a small boat.

I would definitely recommend the USCG link provided by tbromund above. Also, because I would think you'll be boating in New York State, here's a link to the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Boating Guide ( a .pdf document), which has helped me a lot:

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/recreation/ ... sGuide.pdf

Definitely double check to be sure, but here's a few things that should help you, assuming you have a row boat 12 to 16 feet in length:

• A fire extinguisher is not required, but recommended equipment
    You DO need daytime signals (3 of them), and the easiest way to do this is to pick up a pack of USCG approved Daytime/nightime flares. The best place I found them is from the local Mega-Lo-Mart at about $23 for a pack of four, which are good for about two years. There are other options, such as flags, which are also described in the link I provided.
    You need a fitting, accessible Type I, II, or III pfd (the kind you wear) for each person on the boat, and you also need at least one Type IV throwable pfd onboard as well. For most people this is one of those square seat cushions, which are also approved Type IV pfd's.
    If you're operating before May 1st you are now require to wear your PFD at all times.
    Your whistle is a nice safety feature, and may I also suggest a paddle in case of motor failure. You can find a plastic, collapseable emergency paddle at your friendly Mega-Lo-Mart for about $15.

Please double check my facts, but I think I'm correct with most of this, however this may not be everything you need to know, just what I could think of now. I hope I've offered some help; good luck, and be safe!

-CatFisher