Divers with Flashers what don't I get?

Almost everyone I talk to runs the flasher/fly behind their divers & spoons on their riggers. I do the exact opposite for the following reasons. I just think divers pull better with the less resistance of a spoon. I hear the flasher/fly pull fish into the spread but doeasn't the same apply when they are on the riggers? I know most run their divers on setting 2 but cutting my teeth on lake Michigan which has much more pressure setting 1 gives me a more compact spread so I can turn quickly when I get cut off. Also I feel setting 1 stays at the target depth better because it does not swing out as far from the boat so on turns the inside rod wont drop as much. Just interested in what others do & think.

Hi Slimmy

You asked a lot but here goes. I try to run at least 1 flasher in my riggers even when there's a spoon bite just for the attraction factor. The dipseys are too far from the riggers lures to attract for them. When spoons are on the dipseys, I run attractor colors, like frog or green or my custom mt. dew green/chrome. last August was easy, it was a flasher bite all day. 3 on the riggers, 2 on the dipseys, and both coppers all had flashers. I run my dipeys on 2 1/2, I like them away from the boat, remember you will be spooking some fish with you're rigger spread. Also, I want them to dive a little on the turns, same with the copper. I run the dipies a little higher then the riggers so not worried about hitting bottom. also, I hear alot about the "spread", I believe the bigger the spread, the better a lot of time. Most mornings, 3 or 4 riggers will be spread 20ft leads to about 35ft. as morning goes on we spread them out. 25ft leads to as much as 80ft, yes I said 80. I've even put them out as much as 150ft off the riggers and those were the only rods to fire after 11:00am, haven't done that in a few years but only 2 riggers with that spread.

Capt. Dave

http://www.ReeSilverCharters.com

If you aren't running flashers / flies on your divers, at least some of the time, you are missing out on some good action.

One of the hottest rods in my spread is usually my outside divers with flashers / flies set on 3 or 3 1/2 depending upon the depth of the fish. Often that combo way out away from the rest of the spread just sucks them to it and its game on - that goes for spring, summer, and fall.

It seems like anytime that Kings are at 65 feet down or deeper, those outside sets with f/f are HOT!

Hi Slimmy

You asked a lot but here goes. I try to run at least 1 flasher in my riggers even when there's a spoon bite just for the attraction factor. The dipseys are too far from the riggers lures to attract for them. When spoons are on the dipseys, I run attractor colors, like frog or green or my custom mt. dew green/chrome. last August was easy, it was a flasher bite all day. 3 on the riggers, 2 on the dipseys, and both coppers all had flashers. I run my dipeys on 2 1/2, I like them away from the boat, remember you will be spooking some fish with you're rigger spread. Also, I want them to dive a little on the turns, same with the copper. I run the dipies a little higher then the riggers so not worried about hitting bottom. also, I hear alot about the "spread", I believe the bigger the spread, the better a lot of time. Most mornings, 3 or 4 riggers will be spread 20ft leads to about 35ft. as morning goes on we spread them out. 25ft leads to as much as 80ft, yes I said 80. I've even put them out as much as 150ft off the riggers and those were the only rods to fire after 11:00am, haven't done that in a few years but only 2 riggers with that spread.

Capt. Dave

http://www.ReeSilverCharters.com

Pretty good advice right there. Another way to think about this is that when a spoon bite is 'on' the relatively short lead between a regular diver & the spoon can spook less aggressive flasher shy fish. If I run spoons w/ divers it's behind long leads on a Slide Diver http://www.slidediver.com/cart/home.php

Its our hottest rig, flashers on the dipsies . All though we run spoons and plugs off them too. With the boat rocking the wire really gives the lure some great action. I guess thats a smaller boat advantage. We run ours on 2.5 to 3 setting, Lake Michigan can't be more crowded that the East end of Ontario in the fall. :lol: My buddy used to say they have a steering wheel too!