Bow Mount trolling Motor

Hi guys,

Wondering if any suggestions for a bow mount model for my 16 Smokercraft? I have been looking at all the usual players like MinnKota with the Auto pilot, the PV2 models. Some have a hand held fob for motor control/ steering some are foot controlled.

Will an 80 or 70 LBS thrust model pull me around ok in 24 volt for a few hours should I want to shut the big 2 stroke off? My boat is not a finished model, I installed a floor and added some shelving but it really is still a 16 foot aluminum row boat ...Thanks ahead for any advice here.

Bow mount electrics are vital in my winter Niagara river charters. I have logged many hours with several models. My advice would be get only the features you need. All the "fluff" usually does with hard use is break. A 24volt model may be a wise choice if you are going to actually troll with it, but I'm sure for normal use in that size boat a smaller one would work. MinnKota are the standard around here.

just got rid of a 17 starcraft that I used a Minn-kota edge bow mount 55 lb thrust which moved the boat easily and saved the expense/weight of the second battery.

I have a 24v Minn Kota V2 auto pilot with a foot control. My 16 Alumacraft boat is a bit to pull being it has a console, carpeting , live well and a casting deck. Add another person, the gear, and down riggers + four batteries and a gas can for the big motor. It adds up. One thing the 24v does is give more time on the water. I use a 12v 55 lb Minn Kota Enduro transom mount motor to push. It helps with conserving batt power when constant trolling. It also gives me that little bit extra when the fish want it fast. We have a few electric only reservoirs and 10 HP limit lakes here. The set up suits them all just fine.

Trolling motors are not designed for speed, but for thrust. The V2 70/24 should be plenty enough for your boat.

Thanks for the input guys,

Yes shadster sounds like we have comparable set ups. I'm sure my boat is a bit lighter without the livewell and center console. Less gear for sure. I am looking at the 80lbs 24 volt Minn kota with the iPilot and sonar built in. I could sure use some forward weight with the big 2 stroke out back and a 44lbs endura on the stern along side. I just want some bow control and the option of trolling at 2-3mph for a couple hours .

I bought a new 55 thrust minnkota transom mount last summer and was disappointed. My 7 year old endura 44lbs actually pushed the smoker just as well. Time to try a bow mount.

I have the Minn Kota 80lb PV2 model and I can tell you that I absoletly love it and how they operate BUT I just checked to see if it still worked the other day before I went to take it out and NOPE! :@:@ Looks like water got into the lowerunit and frozed during the winter. I also had 70lb PV2 on another boat that I had. During the summer went to take it out and it was completely dead. Nothing worked on it so I ended up returning it to Cabelas. So I am having real bad luck with them and I am hoping mine is still under warranty. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out.

80lbs rips this boat around. If I am not careful going side to side it will throw me right off the boat :rofl: No it has not happened yet. :D

This picture was taken during summer 09 while I rented a coutage for a week for the Honeymoon and the wife let me take the boat :lol:

honey_moon_026.jpg

I hope your warranty works out for you, rshubuck. Freezing temperatures and electric trolling motors don't mix. I found that out some time ago.

I was looking at that Terrova 80# thrust motor, but with all things considered I chose the 70# V2. For that 10 more pounds of thrust it takes that much more amperage cutting into run time. All of these motors have a sweet spot where they will run their best. You have to find it for your particular boat to get the most efficient results.

Here's a somewhat ok pic of the bow section of my boat. I added the casting deck and bass chair. I'll need to build up the walls along the bow rail to mount the trolling motor but I think the 80 lbs should haul me around ok . I'll bury the batteries under the casting deck.

really a glorified 16 foot row boat I tell people. :lol:

The boys had fun battling a laker on Cayuga last summer.This is a fishin boat.

I am thankful for all the input.

Dude bring the batteries and trolling motors inside before Thanksgiving. :yes:

DSCN1254.jpg