Walleye Erie Canal

idn713

So I hear that some wallys live in the canal and my buddy has caught an enormous walleye out of the canal, are these flukes or is there really enough in there to go after? Would love to hear some info on this as I live two seconds away from the Brockport-Spencerport section and I would not mind targeting some walleye on my boat in the canal in my spare time! Oh and Catch and Release of course!

i've caught a few in the spillways while pike fishing. they like the white water under the falls at aquduct park in palmyra. i know a couple guys that target them there. they toss black jigs right up to the wall at the falls. my wife caught a big one at the base of the falls at swifts landing on a white mepps spinner.

We use to troll the canal for walleyes. We flatlined using diving crankbaits. Faves being an orange /gold mid size Rapala Fat Rap or a mid size Perch Shad Rap, or J-9 same colors. Inside guy j-9, outside diver. Trolling into the current about 15 ' from shore where it drops off or transitions to mud. We fished west of Brockport to Hulberton. any change of shoreline was productive.Good days we would land a few up to 8 lbs was a big one. Cruise past the high walls. Lot's of Smallies also.Remember, the begining of the canal is the Niagara river in Tonowanda.

the walleyes i've caught there have been early morning and at last light. there are some behind the fire dept. in macedon also. there is a nice boat launch there into a spillway. pretty good current there. lots of smallmouths.