Torpedo Weights and Fish Finders

bout time

I know there have been similar topics in the past, but I was wondering if anyone has had any problems picking up Torpedo shaped downrigger weights on their Fish Finders. I run a Humminbird 787 and I lose the weights after 40-50'. i havent tried adjusting the angle back yet just thought I'd ask first

I run 13 pounders with a 575 humminbird.

When they get real deep I loose them on the narrow fish finder cone.(blowback?) but they stay visible on the wide cone.

Here is a good question, what year is your unit and how old is the transudcer? Bird had an issue last year with the transducers, and maybe thats the problem? My bird did the same thing, would track to about 50 fow and lose them, i tried adjusting the angle a bunch, found out it was a bad ducer....Good luck, just an idea to help eliminate..

take care, nick

One of the key features on the Humminbird units that allows you to see downrigger weights and other structure and detail better is a technology called Swithfire Sonar. The setting for Switchfire shoudl be located under the SONAR tab. If you go under the SONAR tab and don't find a setting called SWITCHFIRE you will need to update your software to the latest version. If you are familiar with how to update software simply go to www.humminbird.com and go under teh support section. There you will find a tab to register your unit. After you have registered you will be given access to download the latest sofware available for your unit. If you have questins you can also call 800-633-1468. Once you have the SWITCHFIRE setting there are two selections 1) Clear Mode and 2) Max Mode. You will want to select MAX MODE to be able for optimal viewing of your downrigger weights. Also you will want to set you beam select to 200/83khz. This will allow you to have the widest beam and the greatest detail. The suggestion about the angle of the transducer is also very important as the downrigger weight will be significantly behind the boat.

Mark Gibson, Humminbird Marketing Director

I upgraded the unit and it works great. Thank you for your support. Its nice to have a voice right from the company itself. the new switchfire mode shows awesome detail. what a difference. Thanks Again

'Bout Time

Mike