Cayuga 5/27

fished north of long point today from 120-150FOW. today was about QUALITY not quantity!! went 6 for 8 on lake trout with a 2 rod spread. they were 6 of the largest lake trout ive ever caught. measured the first couple at 30-31" and weighed a couple at 8 1/2#'s. all fish were released. didnt reach my goal of a 10 pounder yet but im getting closer! the color and girth on these fish were awesome. all fish came on #1 braid dipsies, flashers and flies, 200-270 feet out. couldnt get bit on a spoon or flasher on the rigger. best setup was a silver plaid dipsie, silver e-chip and silver fly. fish were spitting up bait and i had two that came in with small lampreys. got a few in the morn. and then i went a couple hours with nothing. i was just thinking of leaving but decided to try another area and ended up getting a good afternoon bite before a t-storm chased me off. good day on the water. pics dont do these fish justice. they were fat! by the way, copper has officially been fired from my boat! best, mark

P5270439.jpg

P5270446.jpg

P5270441.jpg

P5270445.jpg

P5270449.jpg

Great job Mark! Glad you made it out for those lakers. Spoon bite on the riggers for me seemed slow but everytime I checked my riggers I had a 6 to 9lb laker that I was dragging. :rofl: I used all sorts of colors each time I went out and they were biting on everything for the most part. Great pictures by the way! :clap::clap: Keep them coming.

PS I dont know what it is about Tstorms but right before they hit fishing is always good ;)

Hey Mark if you want to sell your copper setup let me know, I can tell you this "copper swims over nothing"

if you are running the copper down the chute and have braid on your diver rods instead of wire your dive curve maybe off, especially if dipsies are on 2-3 setting even out 200-270. In the pic it looks like spoon was on copper, I don't like spoons on copper because those mi stingers are light and have a tendency to be harder to deploy, with spoons you must let copper out really slow and let it settle. I would put either of those flasher fly rigs on your copper, it will deploy easier, the swimming of the flasher plus its weight will improve the settling of the copper line behind the boat. Also be careful on turns, that dipsy probably hung up the copper when that diver rod was on the inside of a turn, keep the copper on board for days when the riggers are quiet and the flasher fly presentations on the diver rods are working then just run the same colors on the copper down the chute.

Im with ya on the copper,lots of work with no significant results over riggers and dypsys,at least on the fingerlakes. Id probly go back to sethgreen first i can put out a 5 spoon rig faster than 400 ft copper. Tho the meatrods ant left the basement in about 7 years. To me their ant nuttin better than a 8 rod 4 rigger setup,no tangles , or reelin yer arms off, or popin a dypsy and clearin a side (tho i like the dypsys).

Course a few years back i had 7 rods go off almost at the same time on the riggers,no tangles ,I think that was the same year I was reminded by the DEC of the 2 rod rule :o added another 125.00 to that trip real quick.... :(

glad i didnt have out the "full spread"

Last weekend on Cayuga we 'cleaned house' w/ the 300' & 400' copper pulling clean spoons while the boats around us were doing nothing (including a smokin hot atlantic that was worth fishing all day for!). We did catch some fish w/ the riggers & divers but the 2 coppers took 4 fish to every 1 on the 4 other rods. An aggressive bite day when you find the right depth & speed and the riggers & divers light up the fish is a wonderful thing but it simply don't go that way all the time. I deploy 2 divers, 2 riggers and 2 'stealth' rigs off the boards and let the fish tell me what they think. I'm more than happy to pack away the junk lines if the riggers & divers are filling the box and I really like it when I can run just 4 riggers and clobber them, but I'll take a king or big laker on copper or core to washing lures any day of the week. I do not like Copper & core in the chute but out on the big boards they can be very easily deployed and become a sort of routine part of the program once you use them enough. Just my 2 cents anyway. -Andy

thanks guys. ill think ill save the copper for kings on big boards or when im by myself and can run one rigger and a copper off the back. that has worked pretty good for me before. i need to try the small spro swivels/haywire twist/shrink wrap connections too. i noticed that the copper breaks down after a while at my albright knot causing to fail. ill set it a side for now and try it some other time. dipsies are hot right now! best, mark

We alway's catch fish on copper, my fishing partner has to pull copper down the chute or he gets bored. Sunday morning he pulled in 30' of water with 150 out an caught lakers.

David,

They are not talking about "pulling copper". They are talking about a cooper spooled reel that would be similar to fishing with lead core line. Basically they have a humongous reel with 300 - 600 feet of copper fishing line and they let it out until it sinks down deep like you would with lead core. Reeling it in will wear your a$ out. :o

Don't sell that copper yet Mark. When we get into those hot dog days of summer you'll wish you had it. I run mine down the shute between 2 riggers and wire rods on each side with no problems. If you have big boards you can run two out to the sides and your wire rods under them with the riggers closing the middle of you spread. Just park it for a while but give it another shot. I call my 400 down the shute my "Ronco" rod, that guy that sell crap on tv all night long, just set it forget it, it will fire.