big gull lake cananda//05-31 through 6-4-2011

johnnywalleye

not many eyes boated but the rum was cold and the food was great ..4 guys 2 boats..15 eyes,i caught the biggest 5lbs and the most 6eyes..a few bass thrown in too,the wether played havoc with us tuesday and wed.80+deg.thursday morning 42 plus a 30mph breeze,wether got stable on sat and we got 5 that day.all the fish caught 6-20fow..my self and my boat never got skunked .the other boat took 2 days to land 1st fish...still sooo much better than work!!!!!!and so long 4 now;john

000_0025.jpg

000_0026.jpg

000_0027.jpg

000_0028.jpg

000_0029.jpg

000_0030.jpg

Hello, I fished big gull 5 years ago, looks to me like you stayed at the same place i did, Small cabins, Husband and wife ran the place, We stayed for a week, Hammerd the eye's on jig's with leech's, husky jerks trolled up by those islands, just before dark. If you stayed out in the dark you'd get carried off by the skeeters, wicked!! Nice to see some guy's from around here fishing there. Nice fish. fish-on!

we stayed at kirk cove.and your right bout the canadian national bird.the sqeeters make it almost impossible to fish past dark.ive never tried leeches there.how deep did you find the eyes??? i was always markin bait but few fish!!thanxs for the input...and so long 4 now;john

15 to 20 feet, Throw your jig toward shore, bounce it back toward the boat, you'll know if your in the right spot. We caught somewhere around 100 for the week, that law they have with the fish, sucks, you can only bring back one days limit across the border. don't use minnows, the only thing you'll get is pike, and big one's at that. I caught a 25 pounder on a ultra light rod, THAT WAS SOMETHING! I've got a map of that lake, i'll have to find it, tell you where to fish, those fish migrate to the same spots every year, there's a small channel on the left up by that first island, thats where you should get them this time of year. fish-on

thanxs for the info!!!!!ive caught eyes from 60-5 fow on the GULL.we go the same time every year and every year i struggle to find somethin consistent..i normally jig in the 12 -29 fow usin worms..mabey leeches is the key??????and so long for now.john

I just got back from Gull Lake yesterday! Had a tough week of fishing, but managed 2 fish fry's and brought home a limit, so it wasn't all bad. Had pretty decent weather, drank a few beverages, and hung out with some of my Canadian friends. This was my first June trip up there in many years; I usually go in September. The Canadian Conservation Officers were inspecting all vehicles towing boats crossing back over the 1000 Island Bridge. Fish were very finicky...

We caught fish in Polls Bay (Harmony Bay), right out in front of Kirk's at the last marker, the mouth of East Bay, and the south shore of East Bay. Also a few other random spots that I probably couldn't describe. I also normally fish the little island just east of the inlet to Kirk's, just west of Williams Island (South Sister Island), but that area was getting worked pretty hard by other boats. Did try trolling stickbaits a little bit at dusk, but the skeeters were unbearable. Walleyes seemed to be hanging out on the shallower reefs, 5-10 FOW. We were drifting or slow trolling (<1 MPH) floating jig heads with crawlers and bullet sinkers. Again, I don't normally fish up there in June, so others may have better info.