Oneida Lake 6/10/11

rdebadts

A buddy and I fished Oneida today- started on the north end, then the north end of shackleton, with basically nothing to show for it. When we moved to the south east end, things started to heat up a bit. We ended up with 4 eyes, 2 keepers, one that was 15 inches that we released, and one just short. Those were my first eyes in Oneida, which was kinda cool. We also did 6 HUGE sunnies and 6 nice perch (and 2 big smallmouth and a sheephead). Best action was from 8 to 18 foot down, we did do one eye in 25 FOW. EVERYTHING was on worm harnesses, I couldnt get a hit on anything else (stickbaits, sonars, jigs, plastics).

For you guys that fish there- I hear wonderful things about sonars, so I got a few. How do you guys work them? slow retrieve, or jig, or a combination? They sure as hell didnt work for me today...

Interestingly, most of our eyes were caught in 8 FOW when it was sunny..... Weird.

For you guys that fish there- I hear wonderful things about sonars, so I got a few. How do you guys work them? slow retrieve, or jig, or a combination? They sure as hell didnt work for me today...

I have heard cast em a country mile and rip it back... let em sink and rip it again... more action the better

A buddy and I fished Oneida today- started on the north end, then the north end of shackleton, with basically nothing to show for it. When we moved to the south east end, things started to heat up a bit. We ended up with 4 eyes, 2 keepers, one that was 15 inches that we released, and one just short. Those were my first eyes in Oneida, which was kinda cool. We also did 6 HUGE sunnies and 6 nice perch (and 2 big smallmouth and a sheephead). Best action was from 8 to 18 foot down, we did do one eye in 25 FOW. EVERYTHING was on worm harnesses, I couldnt get a hit on anything else (stickbaits, sonars, jigs, plastics).

Interestingly, most of our eyes were caught in 8 FOW when it was sunny..... Weird.

You have to rip the sonars, as I believe they feel the pluse, see the flash, and they grab it on the way back down.

One thing about that blade bait is, you'll foul hook them in the side of the head,(eye damage occurs) and under the lower jaw.