Cayuga 6/15/11 on Jason's Boat

Travis, Jason and I left the southend 545am and motored up to Taughanock and setup out of Jasons boat. Caught 1 LL right off the bat and things were not producing until we got a little farther N. We mostly caught small LL's, 1 I think was roughly 3lbs, and we caught some decent lakers. Biggest being 7lbs. South wind all morning! Temps were on the cold side. 45 to 47 degrees 60 down. Hot colors were green and blue. We lost a nice laker at the back of the boat which stole Jasons watermelon spoon :lol: I lost count but I would say we boated over 20 fish.

The funny thing about the last 3 trips on the water for me is it has been rigger action all the way. Spoons are hot right now especially on a sliders. Not sure why but we did not have much luck with the wire/divers which generally for me take 80 to 90 percent of my fish.

Thanks again Jason for the invite. We will have to do again soon. Glad to meet you Travis!

traviscayuga.jpg

Traviscayuga1.jpg

I think he is trying to strech it out :rofl:

Oh. The other thing I noticed this year is we are catching an increase number of fish with lampreys attached or marks from lampreys. I think we left one in Jasons boat to run free:)

Sometimes I can be a little stubborn to try new things but that's why I like fishing with new people. I will now use black releases with rubberbands.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

thanks for going rob, i had a blast....albino gator with a groon dot glow big weenie fly took its share of lakers today..... now i just need to replace the window in the cubby that shattered on the way home :@:@:@;(;( .....i got glass from front to back....

thanks for going rob, i had a blast....albino gator with a groon dot glow big weenie fly took its share of lakers today..... now i just need to replace the window in the cubby that shattered on the way home :@:@:@;(;( .....i got glass from front to back....

I had a tree fall on the boat over the winter. Took out the middle window that opens to the bow. Geneva Glass cut a piece of Lexan and installed it into the frame for $30.

Sounds like a good trip! :yes:

(except for the ride home!)

ROB,

SAME HERE ON THE DIVERS. i HAVE CAUGHT MAYBE 80% ON RIGGERS AND 20% AT THE MOST ON DIVERS THIS YEAR.

No idea why????

Wayne

Depends on where you park the wires. Mine have been great. Although my riggers have been better than usual. Nice job guys.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Divers w/ ff combos and riggers w/ ff combos behind short leads are very effective presentations for aggressive fish. If you are catching more fish on spoons, especially w/ long leads or on copper & core then either you are not in the right zone w/ the divers & ff riggers or the fish may not be as aggressively feeding.

There is tons of sonic 'signature' w/ flasher combos behind a delivery device (diver or rigger weight) and aggressive fish will often be very attracted to these presentations. Less active and negative fish will often ignore or even be spooked by a 'noisy' presentation but may smack a spoon, stick, or crank especially if its back away from a weight or diver or on core or copper.

Now, If you are getting hit on ffs off riggers & not the wires then I would have to think the wires are not where they need to be. Well, that's my 2 cents anyway, might be just a bunch of B.S. -Andy

The heavy rigger bite has not been the case for me all spring just the last 3 trips. We have been pounding them on the dipsy prior to the Niagara Proam. But when I came back to cayuga everything as changed which I somewhat expected. Just thought it has been strange. The past Sunday I was running a 10 rod spread. 2mag dipsys, 2 standard dipsys, 300'copper, 400'copper, 10color, and 3 riggers. Copper and core took zero fish. My standard dipsys took zero fish. My 2 mags took 5 fish with missing 4 other hits. Riggers, well I lost count. The great thing about running 4 dipsys is can park them all over the place and run a combination of spoons and flasher/flys. That is exactly what I did. It just was not working that day but there was also a lot going against us from the cold front and the strong N wind. The water was real unstable but we did ok :)

Well I will be back out sunday with a full boat. Mom, Dad, my wife, Sister and her new (boyfriend :devil: ) The only thing he has going for him right now is the fact that he is worth 2 rods :lol: and I want to try running a 12 rod spread 8)

The lake has not been "flipped" all Spring. It might be right now....I haven't been out. All I'm saying is I'm running the exact same speeds, colors, flies, flashers, depths, that I have been running for the past 3 or 4 years and I have had very little action compared to years past. I have also tried faster and slower speeds, different colors, different depths, etc and have not had much success with them for some reason so far this year. The Lake Trout I cashed in on the Lake Trout derby was on a diver/flasher/fly combo though :) I agree that Downriggers seem to be more productive this years than in years past.....who knows????

Jason, When I talked to you up at the Lake Ontario Trollers show in Lockport at the Big Weenie booth I ended up buying that Big Weenie 11" Lake O combo flasher / fly and it has been my hottest flasher fly combo this year. I also bought the HillBilly 11" combo and haven't caught any on that but that will probably be pretty good for Lake O Salmon. I'll be trying that on the big lake this weekend.