Fly-fishing for panfish- totally fun!

Deaf Fisherman

I set new goal for myself, going fly-fishing after 9pm on lake. I was expected to snag something such as trees or bushes or getting line mess. or something else since it is dark out there. But I was pleased to say, result was very great than I expected. 8)

I caught 17 sunfishes, 5 crappies, and 3 largemouth bass. In which, bonus was 2.8lb largemouth bass taken on 4 pound tippet line. I must say, it was wicked awesome because it is dark out there and you can't see anything except feeling the line when fish bite. Until moon comes out, I was shocked because I saw ton of panfish and another kind of fishes was jumping around, that got my line fired in every cast until bugs got best of me. anyway, I was fishing at 945pm last night and quit sometime around 1030pm. :yes:

sorry, no pictures at this time, since it was too dark to take picture with flash on.

• 4 weeks later...

Try flyroding with any surface popper or sponge bug or even trout dry flies anytime in the middle of the night.... especially after midnight if you can hack it. Right in the middle of the lake or pond, where (unless you have a headlamp or some kind of light) you really can't see where you are casting to....Calm warm summer nights are the best, where you can listen and hear the BIG sunnies are feasting on buds at the surface. What a blast!!!!

Panfisher... Everything I've read says sunfish are not active at night and just sit on the bottom. Obviously not true according to you and DeafFisherman. The lake I want to try is 35' in the middle so should I focus on the 6-10' areas where I catch them during the day? I tried yesterday morning and they would come up and look at the small dry fly I was using but not take it. Sounds like they're alot more aggressive on the surface at night. Can't wait to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

The Trout Underground is fly fishing's fun, independent voice - the home of a writer leading a fly fishing life, and writing about it. Panfish flies are simple and capable of catching numerous other species. One of the most enjoyable things about fly fishing is catching springtime bluegills and their cousins with popping bugs and nymphs.

The Trout Underground is fly fishing's fun, independent voice - the home of a writer leading a fly fishing life, and writing about it...

Great gear reviews. Tom Chandler's articles on wading boots were really helpful to me just recently. I got a deal I couldn't pass up on waders and needed good boots to go with.