how do i run 4 dipsy rods?

I have heard a few guys mention how they run 4 dipsy rods and was wondering how to do this? I currently run 2 dipsy rods one on each side of boat and i usually run them on setting 3. I would like to run 4 but did not know i could.If anyone can explain how to do this i would appriciate it. thanks

I have heard a few guys mention how they run 4 dipsy rods and was wondering how to do this? I currently run 2 dipsy rods one on each side of boat and i usually run them on setting 3. I would like to run 4 but did not know i could.If anyone can explain how to do this i would appriciate it. thanks

I'm trying hard to resist saying two on one side, two on the other. 8) Seriously, we ran 4 this past weekend. Put the outside rods on 3 1/2 and the inside on no more than 2 setting. Also helped that the outside rods were 10' and the inside 8' 6" rods. Take the turns easy to avoid crossing lines. Also ran two riggers at the same time with no problems.

I run mine on a 1 1/2 and a 3 or if they are firing well I'll go 2 and 3 1/2. I like longer rods on the outside 10 are best for sure. When you set them be sure that your diver is screwed down tight into it's setting position, this is crucial with wire you cannot afford to have a tangle with wire or say goodnight to your reels. When letting out the outside rod make sure you go extra slow when it starts I usually hold it till it gets till around 50 before setting it in the rod holder then I let the rest creep out real slow, same as always but I'm just careful when the diver starts pulling out to the side, not a good idea to let them out if the boat isn't close to straight either.

There is plenty of info on this site about multiple diver setup if you take the time to search for it.

One thing I will add....start with 3. Run two on one side and one on the other. It will lesson the learning curve and expense if you screw up (and most of us do :lol: ) Also makes turning easier, as you can turn into the side where you have the single dipsey deployed.

As fishtails mentioned there is a lot of info here and there is a good thread on spoonpullers forum that talks about running 6 on one side. I run the same size rods on each side. Mag dipsys on the inside on a 1 setting. The outside on a size one dipsy and I put it on a 3 setting to start. I would say the hardest part is sending them down the first 15 ft. This is where you are most likely to get a tangle.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

• 2 weeks later...

While you are running the two dipseysbon one side if the outside one fires you dont have to pull the inside dipsey. You can move it to the center of the boat until you get control of the fish and get it behind the boat. After you get it behind the boat fight the fish just lime a rigger fish and work it between your other lines. Once you get the fish in move your inside didsey back to the middle of the boat while you let your outside disey back out till you get it out about halfway then move it back to the side again.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I run my outside rods on a mag or #1 dipsey set at 3. Then I use a #0 dipsey on the inner (chute) rods set at 0.5 to 1.0. The benefit is the line out to depth ratio is much higher on the chute rods and they are basically a little further back than the outside rods. I also do not set the center dipseys (the closest two together) at the same depth - I normally have the one at 1.0 setting and a little further out and then another at 0.5 setting and a little closer in. This way the deeper one is closer and the shallower one is further back - this small offset (by 20 feet or so) also helps keeps the center dipseys apart.

If the center rods fire I can bring a fish in the middle, and if it looks too complicated, I will pull the other unhooked center rod in to keep the center clear. If the outside rods fire, I normally keep the fish to the side and stay under the lines of the chute rods. If necessary I bring the closest center rod in to clear space. See illustration below.

I rarely tangle this way.

And by the way - if it is a big king - especially on one of the deeper (oustide) divers - all bets are off - you need to pull in at least both center (chute) rods.

And I agree with what others have said above, start with 3 and get use to it, then go with 4. Set up your center dipsey first and then let out the deeper, closer outside dipseys.

4_dipsey_set_up.jpg