Rule of Thumbs for Trout/Salmon weights

Are there any basic rules of thumb for Lake O. trout and Salmon weights if you know the length (and girth sometimes)?

I know there are variables depending how fat the fish is, time of year, etc.

In other words how much would a 38.5" x 25"girth King weigh? I got 1 that size yesterday and it broke my scale right in front of me. I'm not sure how accurate online weight calculations are so I'd rather see what any Lake O charter guys or experts think.

Also for Steelhead how much does a 30" weigh? or any other general lengths of T/S?

If there were some general rules of thumb, it's a whole lot easier measuring fish that weighing them. Thanks

P.S I'll have a new scale out there next time anyways.

OK thanks for the charts but I was wondering from 1st hand knowledge. Somebody out there knows how much a 35 inch salmon weighs or a 40" salmon or a 35" steel, etc. Anyone?

I think at least with salmon, it would be inaccurate. If a fish had a lamprey on it, it will be under weight. We caught a 44" salmon a few years back that only weighed 25lbs. It had a lamprey on it when we caught it and 3 other fresh scars. It had the body of a steelhead. Not to mention the difference between males and females, small 4year olds vrs big 3 yr olds, etc...

007-3.jpg

This fish was almost 45" long and had a girth of 26", long and skinny. My scale is very accurate and it was 28lbs. +/- a few ozs. Everyone who saw this pic said my scale was broken but it's been very consistent with the LOC scales that are throughout the derby ports so I trust it. There is a math formula that can be used but I don't trust it because are fish can be really skinny or real fat.

It sounds like everyone is saying the same thing here. If I buy a six-pack of beer, how much did it cost? :D

Bottom line: if it's important to be accurate, buy a scale. Tight lines!!

This is a very easy answer... All fish lost are 40lbs, all fish caught are between 30-40lbs until weighed, they then lose quite a bit of water weight on the boat until weighed by a scale :)

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png