copper line

Depends on the depth of the fish. 450' copper will get you down 90ish feet. If the fish are higher, do not put as much copper out. When I want the full 450' out, I put the knot at the water (knot that joins copper and backing)

Depends. Stop when you have the entire copper in the water with the backing knot at the surface and you have the rated depth. Continue to run out backing and the copper will run deeper. I don't know of any depth charts or rules-of-thumb for added depth with added backing. I use a 450 and run it with the backing knot at the surface when I want it around 100 feet deep. If I think the fish are deeper, I send out 10 passes (1-way) of backing on my Takota. I think this gets me down to around where a 500 runs, 110 feet but, I can't be exactly sure.

As to rods, longer rods are good if you run copper down the chute. This gives added reach when clearing the chute for fish on other rods. Shorter rods are easier to fight fish with or retrieve due to less leverage at the tip of the rod and work great when runing on big boards.

Anyone know of a resource to determine added depth for added backing?