Early buck question

I know it is early BUT i visited one of the properties we hunt (with new MEGA FOOD PLOTS this year-/corn,soy,pumpkins) I noticed a buck on the cameras that LOST its total right set of horns early July. Still in velvet and growing is the left side.

QUESTION: will anything grow back on the right side this year? and if not would you make him off limits on the property fall hit list?

Thanks AS USUAL to the knowledge on this sight you guys give.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

I have a good video of him here so i am sure of the missing rt. side

7_2_11_2_GOOD_BUCKS_missing_rt_horn.jpg

7_2_11_buck_LOST_right_side.jpg

Jerry, he won't grow another antler back, he may grow some sort of deformity depending on what the reason is he lost the other side was in the forst place. If it is damage to the pedicle he may never grow the right side or may alway have some sort of deformed antler on that side. Based on the pics he looks young maybe a 2yr old on my properties he would get a pass for sure especially knowing there are better deer out there and you never know what he might grow into the following season.

Thanks K,(33canuck)

After looking threw some earlier pics I found these 2 bucks before in JUNE 15th same bucks again with rt horns missing then. Looks like i will be seeing a BIG UNICORN this season. Thanks again for the info.

6_15_11_2_BUCKS_GOOD.jpg

Is,nt it funny how they pattern around same time stamps on pictures together, weeks apart this early on before we even consider it to be deer season yet.

Anytime bud. Good thing is this time of year it's not always the resident deer you get pics of often resident deer might be on neighboring ground and vice versa so maybe your will get the double horns and it will be your neighbors who get the uni's! :yes:

Pete,

I still have have a "one eyed jack" and now a possible addition of a ONE HORNED UNICORN to the magic kingdom !!!!

Ray

i hunted other farm with 20 nusaince permits. NOT FUN at all. want no part of that this year.

Close up pic of missing rt side. What you think canuck? looks knocked clean off his head.

deer_pics_1879.jpg

tuff to tell but after reviewing pics the right rear leg almost looks a little wimpy and hanging try to check out pics and see if ya can fig it out..could be old injury or recent like it got wacked on rh side by car.. it kinda looks like the muscle shape at its "r r hock " has a strange taper , does yer gun shoot 3 ft to the left......... :lol:

Could be a lost antler due to rough-housing. A patient of mine helps to run a deer rehabilitation center in WNY for injured deer. Seeing penned deer interact is facinating. Deer gender tendancies are very similar to human tendancies. Does are the cranky disciplinarians that teach fawns survival, and the bucks just love to play. Bucks love messing/playing with fawns especially.