Cayuga 7-27

Kade & I ran up after work. Set up right out front at T-Falls since it was rough and headed south with the wind. Got set up @ 6:30 and immediately took a shot on mag dipsy out 300'. Kade got it half way to the boat...gone. Had a swing and a miss on rigger at 90' a little while later. Had the other rigger parked at 60' but couldn't get it to go even tho fishfinder seemed to think all the fish and bait were between 60' and 70'. Wind finally died down some so we turned around and trolled back north. Got back in the area where we had first two hits and dipsy out 250' takes off. Dropped that one too. :@ Picked up at that point and called it a night. Fish 3...us 0. I think I'm gonna take dipsy snubbers back off, we've dropped more fish this year using snubbers than I care to count. Last year without snubbers, I never even gave it a thought, if a dipsy rod fired, there was gonna be a fish in the boat. Oh well, always nice to get out on the water and see the excitement in Kade's eyes when a rod fires.

Almost forgot, fleas were still gone, and weeds were minimal. :clap:

Kyle

Maybe you are already but if not try using the dreamweaver ripcord snubbers they don't flex as much as the original rubber snubbers and since I switched seem to have alot better hook ups.. Great report! Im gonna hit Seneca today after work....

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Bobber.:wait:.........this is one of those Chevy vs Ford topics.

We can all justify why we use a snubber or not. You'll have to decide what works best for you. Try running a snubber on one dipsey and one without a snubber for at least 5 trips and then decide what you want to do.

I've switched back and forth several times and what I've come up with is that I think a snubber is best used in the spring when the lakers are real aggressive and on steroids. Later in the season when the water starts to warm they just don't have the head shaking impact like in the spring.

I ditto the "sharp hooks" comment also. You'll know your hooks are sharp enough when you occasionally hook a fish on the side of it's head (foul hook :o ) when they hit your offering from the side.

These are what I use and have been vary satisified with them,... 12" clear. Stiff but yet enough stretch to take the shock. Besides online I think you can get them at Gander Mtn.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... nubber.htm

http://www.tackletheoutdoors.com/Tackle ... roductName

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Duke...those are the ones I have been using.

Stinger...what you said about spring vs. summer makes sense. We didn't drop many earlier this year. Last few trips we've dropped more than we've put in the boat. Gonna go without next couple trips and see if things improve. If not, may need to look for harpoon gun for Kade. :)

Kyle

We fished north end yesterday.Didn't get out until about 10am.Had the cold water hose shooting out water under the bathroom sink :@ .

Set up in about 60' of water at the north end ledge.Fished down to deans cove and back again.Never moved a rod.Tried 60' out to around 200 fow.

So some marks but couldn't get a bite.

Weird,10 years ago we started trolling Cayuga and did well until we started fishing Ontario instead.Now we have moved back

to fishing Cayuga for the last 2 years and I am having no luck at all.Have only been out 3 times this year but have had only 1 hit.I was having a problem with speed.

Yesterday I ran 2 drift socks so I know my speed should have been good(we were between 2.0 and 1.4).Still a big goose egg.

Bobber I been into some "light" biters lately and find a flick of the wrist hook-set is some times needed to keep them on........not a bass style.......just a wrist set.....now I'm talking rigger fish that are on there but still swiming with the lure in there mouth and didn't trip the release you see the rod unload then drop back down and maybe bounce a bit......get on the rod pop it free from the release reel like crazy........feel the weight of the fish....then the wrist set..............1/2 the time when there like this I don't even get a piece of them..... ;)

I hear ya Ed...been doin' ok with them on the riggers...just the dipsy rods given me a headache.

Thanks for the input, Ray. Got them as loose as possible. Even to the point of bein' able to see space between screw head and the plastic. Only thing I haven't done yet is to jently pry on them to open up a little more. Gonna lose the snubbers and see what happens sunday. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try losin' the shorts and see if that helps. :lol: If nothin' else, might keep the blow boats at bay. 8)

Kyle