Salmon River/Port Ontario

Im going to be going out for my first time on 8-19 and we are going to be staying in Pulaski so will launch out of the Salmon rive in Port Ontario. My questions is, and I know this sounds rediculus but where do I go? Im not looking for coordinates or anyones secret spots but can anyone help us get in an area where we have some potential of boating a fish? I believe I am covered on lures, spinnies, flies, plugs, spoons, I ordered an X4. It will be myself and my son, any help at all would be huge.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I think the number one weapon is your probe! find the temps and then some bait and you are in business.

Sometimes a bunch of boats just means a bunch of boats. I was up a couple weeks ago and was told the Kings had all moved north into the trench off the bluffs. We were going out of Catfish Creek and all the boats around were pretty close inside. I ran out to 100 feet, started setting gear and started trolling out deeper. We hit fish at about 120, a double hookup, a 19# king and a 6# brown. Next 3 fish were kings, another 19, a 16 and a 7, we got one more 5# brown.

Everyone was targeting browns because they thought the kings had gone north. I opted to shoot for kings because my boys said they rather catch something big than just catch something. It worked out and we looked pretty good at the cleaning station. :)

Jeff, I used to fish the lake out of the Salmon river years ago. One of the setbacks with fishing that part of the lake is the distance you run to get the depth to target kings in mid August. If I was going to fish that area I would take a 270 to 290 heading. Run 4 miles to 100 feet of water and start your troll going on that heading towards 240 fow, that would be about 9 miles off shore, you might encounter steelhead out there as well. You will be north of Nine Mile point area. Check your down temp and don't be afraid to ask what the down temps are before going out. Check this site for recent reports. Some times you can get salmon very early morning before dawn, getting a sniff of the river in less than 80 fow. But the majority of fish at that time will still be well off shore. Look for pods of bait, hungry salmon will be near by. Look for changes on the surface in color or wave action indicating a temp break. Sometimes you can find floatsum in a hard break that will usually have good fishing in and around it.

If you are a little mobile, it is not a big drive to Oswego (about 20 miles) where you might find more favorable waters and a little more info on here with the water conditions and good reports. A lot less boat ride to the deeper waters too. Just an option also in case the lake is rough with a west wind, sometimes it is better over there in the Oswego area. Best thing you can do is keep checking these forums for recent reports and try to go on those and some area info from the shops.

If you were able to come west to the Oak, after the 24 th I could get out with you and your son and help you get on some fish.

Try sending someone on here a pm that fishes regular out of Port Ontario, and maybe they could team up with you and get you on fish over there. Plenty of guys on here around Oswego I know would help if you wanted to try that port.

Good luck and hope you get your son that first Lake O king!

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I stopped by Point Breeze for the first time this summer and wonder how I missed it all these years. It's a nice harbor and the fishing's great. Might have to check out renting a cottage for me and the Mrs next year.

Mexico is combat trolling. Be prepared to pull your lines and turn hard at any time. Love it in the spring but this time of yr bigger boats wont give you a inch. Had a real bad experience there last saturday. Was on a str8 east heading another boat motored into my path. No biggie I start to head se. Ending up having to turn hard and head str8 w. All in about 5 minutes. Yeah wires in my Riggers copper was off the bow of my boat. Ill figure out who that guy was someday. He did it 3 times. It was str8 north out of the point in 144 fow. There has been kings there every weekend. Just some food for thought. I have waypoints marked all over there all with a 100 yds. So maybe you can go play crash course with him. Ill be heading west. Guys aren't so cut throat on the other side of oswego

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png