Scrape Questions

smaltcody

Most of the scrapes you see are made by young bucks who are typically inconsistent and pretty clue less about the whole breeding business. Unless you hunt the Adirondacks I don't think I would hunt scrapes unless you are pretty certain about a daylight pattern. Without educating the deer, try & get a sense from the scrapes (and the rubs) how the bucks travel to and from doe bedding and feeding areas and set up on those high percentage routes. Remember it's super important to take into account how you can make low impact entrances & exits to and from those buck travel corridors when you pick the spots to hunt those high percentage routes. Good luck & enjoy the adventure! -Andy

Often these are made on logging roads with no available branches overhead. I assume you know the difference between a scrape and turkey scratching. Just another piece of the puzzle that defines buck travel. Look around....is there a rubline nearby?.............

more scrapes?.......home base for a doe group?.....Time to set up trail cameras to see if it is a worthwhile area. Many scrapes such as those at the edges of fields, are a waste to hunt because they are visited at night. Better to find those deep woods scrapes esp. near small gaps/openings. These little didies are like a firehydrant to a dog and are visited year after year serving as "scent posting" spots.

thats kinda what i figure i do know the difference between turkey and deer but you can see the antler marks and deer tracks in the scrapes and i havent really found any rub line on my property just random scrapes and i hunted over them and nothing im getting upset but im sure ill find something soon this is the first year of my lease and the people slaughtered the deer the last couple years so were trying to straighten it out wish me luck thanks for the help

A deer cam is a great learning tool and is ALOT of fun learning/collecting info. for YOUR hunting areas. EXAMPLE: time of day/nite they visit---what size bucks---how many---what week on average the does start hitting them AND WHEN DAYTIME bucks show & from what direction.

CDY_0020.jpg

CDY_0021.jpg

CDY_0017.jpg

CDY_0008.jpg

CDY_0024.jpg

CDY_0022.jpg

CDY_0013.jpg

Now the doe are slowly showing up....

CDY_0025.jpg

Totally agree with most of the posts so far.....but there are many variables. Last year we hunted a scrape line i found on the edge of a cut over that meets an open hard wood bench. There was over 20 scrapes in this area last year.....this year i have found four. But i am also finding less rut sign overall in many of my hunting areas here in Vt. Scrapes out in the open or long log roads dont usually get hit during the day. Now find some on the edge of terrain or cover change.....where the does are hanging....& I would sit as long as i could. We are in day two of our hunt &logan had young bucks by us yesterday & 3the does today....but along with browse from the logged over area, we have lots of beechs producing nuts this year!.... Hunt the Beechs if you goot'm!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Yep, they are in the Beech here in Western New York. No Acorns, but Beech o'plenty. The turkey I zipped last Sat. had it's crop full of Beech. The does have been bedding where they eat....in Beech stands.