Lake Erie 'Eyes

Gill-T

The algae blooms were the result of long term low east wind conditions which stacked the algae on the surface during the perfect surface water temperature conditions for the algae bloom, 55 to 65 degrees. As soon as we received a heavy blow, they mixed in the water and disappeared to feed the emerald shiners, shad, alewives and other zooplankton. These college boys are looking for a government grant to feed their families.

Yea, not sure why they need to study Lake Trout on Erie...... but this year off Erie (at traditional depths) from the Catt. to Barcelona fishing was slow, maybe the netting info means we were all fishing too deep. Maybe the walleyes are in that "gobie-zone" and don't need to go out to deeper water. The Catt. contigent has been catching Walleyes all summer by casting erie dearies just off the weededges.

Lake Trout stocking was down after the Allegany River Hatchery failure. The rocky bottom off Brocton Shoals, a known lake trout spawning area are completelty covered with mussels now and their ability to support reproduction of lake trout is unknown. Lake Erie walleye numbers were great on the screen, not so great over the gunwale. There could be so much bait they do not need our lures. But the perch fishing out in the deeper lake waters was outstanding. From to 65 to over 70 foot of water, regular limits of 50 perch were had by the regular perch fishing. The last day out for perch, I counted 65 boats in the area about seven miles out from Point Breeze. A lot of 12 inch and above were had and I had triple headers of large perch that I thought were a walleye. The color screen would turn green and yellow for ten foot off the bottom when you were having a school of perch go by underneath you.

The reason we started perch fishing out there was one contest day I went through 48 nightcrawlers and only caught one walleye but also had ten perch on. I said we must be stupid to be fishing for walleyes when there are all these perch around.

I remember when I first got out here. I picked up the hotspots map. right there on the brocton shoals, they mentioned lake trout. Probably a lot has to do with how most of the fishing is done out this way. Pulling meat deep has been the go to technique. But walleyes do love weeds.

The NFTA Small Boat Harbor has pulled the launch dock,but if you have a drive on trailer one can back you in,launch you,park the truck & trailer then walk over to the gas dock and climb in your boat.When you return let the person back off at the gas dock and he can walk over get the truck & trailer and back in for you to drive on.You can also launch at Ontario Street or Sheridan Drive in the Niagara River and run up to the Harbor.

I say the reason no one fishes for walleye is because there are on close launches open. We are prohibited from useing OUR natural resources of the great lakes because we can't get on them. To me this is BS. if I want to go on the lake until it gets ice I (we) should be able too the same goes for early spring! Open memorial day/ closeup labor day, whats up with that!! I say put docks in when ice goes out & take them out when the water gets down to 38* JMO.

The NFTA Small Boat Harbor leaves one boat launch dock in until the end of November every year.Through the whole month of November there are walleye in the Harbor,especialy at Donnley's Wall at night.But most of November I'm the only boat out durring the week,maybe 4 boats on a weekend if the weather is nice.If the winds go up over 40+ mph they pull the launch dock and put it back in again once the winds come down,leaving it in until the end of November.The launch dock is pulled at the end of November because of usualy very high winds come after that date and the work crews equipment is put away for the winter.Been trying for three years to get Erie Basin Marina Launch to be left open to Ice up,no luck with letters to the mayor of Buffalo.You can launch in the Niagara River at Ontario Street or Sheridan Drive and run up.

I even tried a different aproach of trying to get them to leave Erie Basin Launch open just for emergency retrival when the winds come up and roll over the docks at the NFTA Small Boat Harbor.They still put cement barriers accross the front of the launch.They will take on the Liability of people walking and playing hockey on Ice there,but not for launching a boat after Sept 15th!