dressing for stealhead in jan

cheese

I generally wear a pair of breathable waders with cabalas wader pants and heavy wool socks for the bottom layer. For the uppers it goes t shirt sweater wader jacket. My wader jacket however is basically a winter jacket. Its a gander mt guide series.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

breathable base layers next to the skin. then from there layers and lots of them. u can always take it off, but if ya dont have them on to begin with it gets cold and fast. nothing will make for a short fishing trip more than getting freezing cold in 35deg water. and its only gonna get colder. and bring extra gloves so that one pair gets wet(which they will) ya have back up pairs. a good hand warmer muff with hot hands packets is priceless on the water. hope that helps. trial and error has worked for me but i only live 15 min so heading home is no big deal.

My in laws bought me a 28 pair retail case of hand warmers. These are the little packets that are air activated. I grew up with the old metal style that you use lighter fluid with and had a a cloth cover/bag with a draw string. Any of you guys ever use these new ones? The box says they are long lasting up to eight hours.

The air activated ones are great. They take a while to warm up so I open them at the car and stuff them in my pockets for later. They never get too hot to handle but are just right for keeping the frostbite at bay. Brought her home for dinner tonight:

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg