Mendon Pond Tourney Thanks

Luke510

VBC Sportsmen want to thank everyone that participated in the derby this morning. What a beautiful day to be on the ice. Who said there ain't any fish in the pond! Flags were flying! See you again next year!

DSC03454.jpg

DSC03457.jpg

DSC03456.jpg

Glad to see ice on the lakes... Though I've never set foot on the ice at Mendon Ponds, it remains one of my fav small water fishing spots. From when I was 14, riding my bike 5 miles from Pittfsord, after school, to fish from shore there. I caught my first Northern Pike there, from shore at the 100 Acre Pond. A young 8 inch fish on a 1/8 oz Creek Chub Darter, green frog pattern, cast south of the boat launch in the shallow lily pad filled area. The other ponds, especially Deep Pond, are great for nice 16 to 20 inch largemouths, which can be observed flying 3 to 4 feet into the air in the middle of hot summer afternoons, I guess for dragonflies. And, in the middle of the night in those same hot summer times, smack dab in the middle of the ponds, beautiful big Bluegills on the surface with sponge ants or spiders on fly outfits. During those days, one can easily hit the linesides and big 'gills with those sponges or any popping bugs right in tight to those pads and weedbeds. Never been there ice fishing, though. Just wanted to give a shout out to other folks who enjoy a fairly unique and beautiful watershed of ponds much appreciated by myself and some others in this region of more well known and famous bigger and more notorious waters!