Gotta find lakers to jig to

So I have generally been pretty interested in jigging up some FLX lakers and have gotten a lot of good info from this site. I have all the gear, lures, and know how but I can't find lakers to jig to! The problem is that I can never seem to find a concentration of marks on the bottom, and when I am slowly cruising along and I see a single mark but by the time I turn the motor off, run to the front and get on the trolling motor I am already past it and can't find it again. Basically I am wondering how you guys locate lakers and stay on them of its a lone fish.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

try jigging off the drop offs on the west side.....there are fish STACKED UP, in 25-70 f.o.w.......up untill a few weeks b4 the derby the lakers are really shallow, the big ones that is. I pull copper and alot of my Big headshakers take the sutton as im pulling on and around the transition from twenty feet to 50 or more when the shelf drops real hard.....ive been marking schools of fish @ 38ft....alot the last few days, and @ 55 ft....just my lucky numbers....try jiggin out over 120-150 alot of action there too untill the thermo. set up.

Haha the whole lake is a drop off! But basically 30 to 60 feet on the transition. Sounds good. Is that white tower just a bit south of ononda park the white rock that people talk about? Cause I have heard the shelf near the white rock is good. But yea I marked on fish in 120 fow but was past him before I could get my trolling motor in reverse and get on him. I need some more arcs so I will prowl the drop offs. Are you fishing the north or south side?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

usually when ur jigging, i find it works best with a light wind.....let the boat drift and jig from 90 to 150....they will just start showing up on the screen if ur near em....trick is getting a bite....browns will chase up in the water column quite a ways.....the lakers only take for me rite off the bottom. gota try the shimano butterflys i hear they are great....i just dont like to jig unless the conditions deem it so....like when the victrola wont put out, which is seldom to never.haha good luck.

idn713...you didn't really say where you were fishing in your initial post. Where are you fishing besides Canandaigua? I would try the Bluff at Keuka if I was looking to jig up some lakers. It's a consistent spot (being 100-115 feet) and doesn't really have drastic drop offs when compared to other spots in the FLX. Also, you should try using a drift sock or a couple 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. A sock or some 5 gallon buckets should slow you down if there is a breeze and increase your presentation over the fish that you are marking. Jigging is a great tactic and you can be very successful with it when you find some active fish! Good luck out there!

Ha I am dumb, Ya it's mostly at Canadaigua. I would love to try some other lakes but they are a longer haul and Canandaigua does waste as much gas or take up my whole day. But ya I would love to get on one of those lakes that are loaded with lakers

idn,

I have had some success jigging Canandaigua, so I will tell you what I know.

First of all, Canandaigua is by far the most difficult lake to jig, so know that when you venture out. It has a lower population of fish than the other lakes, and you have already experienced the challenges of keeping your boat at the desired contour. On Keuka, Seneca, and Cayuga, there are large spots the size of several football fields where fish hold for months at a time. you drive out to these spots, throw out a drift bag, watch your graph, and jig until you drift out of the productive water. Pull in the bag, motor back upwind, and repeat the process.

Cnandaigua Lake fish don't conentrate anywhere near as much. Sometimes they aren't bottom oriented at all, and the big expanse of deep water is a lot to swallow whole. if you discover that lakers are sitting on the bottom at a particualr depth, here is what you do. Get a bow mounted electric motor. If the wind is out of the west, get on the protected side of the lake. If the wind is blowing down the lake, throw your drift bag out the stern of your boat and use the electric to nudge yourself back into your target depth. Work yourself down a length of shoreline. In the fall it gets way easier on Canandigua because the fish get bottom oriented. you will have an advantage over guys trolling with downriggers, because they fear snagging bottom of that steep-sided lake.

Good luck, and post your progress on this board. Seriously, if you want to be easier on yourself jig the other lakes to get used to the feel of the techique.

Pete Collin

http://www.pcforestry.com

Good to know! Ya I have a motorguide brute 67 so i have no problem staying in place once I get it down. But you are right finding a concentration of fish on that lake just seems to be a chore. If I could find them I am sure I could jig them though. Anyway you guys have me thinking that a trip to Keuka or Cayuga may be in my near future. And if I start to get fish I will no doubt throw pics and reports all over this section as I will be overjoyed I finally got a laker on a jig. Also the smallies on Canandaigua are pretty dang mysterious too.