How big of a kicker motor

xdbcx

I have a 23 footer and was tossing around the idea of a kicker motor. How big does everyone think I need to go. I currently have a 6 horse short shaft for an old aluminum boat that I never use anymore.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Is the boat fiberglass or aluminum? Are you staying in lake waters or do you plan on fishing any rivers with current? Personaly I would go with a 15 hp Honda or Yamaha 4-Stroke outboard kicker. Then you can troll in current,bigger waves,high winds,need to speed up to get out of someone cutting you off,save gasoline running at lower rpm's on the motor.Also if you need to rely on your kicker to get back in if your main motor goes down,you may get 10 to 12 mph at wot.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

We use a 9.9 Yamaha on a 20 ft Grady White and it works great, using about a quart of gas per hour. However with high winds and waves, a 15 hp would probably be better. Plus, with the lower rpms the 15 would not have to work as hard, and if you need it to get home, it would get you there faster. Make sure you get a high thrust prop. Good Luck

I run a High thrust Yamaha T8 on a 24' Thompson hardtop Fisherman, no issues at all with speed, unless you get into 4' or great waves. Usually by then we would be heading in anyways, unless it is tourney time, then we start the big engine.

Capt. Rich

Fellow I Bay fisherman,

I have 15 HP honda 4 stroke on my 21' wellcraft. At first, I thought I got too much power for my 21' boat however I am glad I have the extra HP to keep my boat on course whenever the lake become rough.

I bought this off Arney's Marina and they gave me a great deal - 15HP at a price of 9.9 HP.

The EZ steer is used to connect the kicker to the main outboard motor.

Also, be sure to get electric tiller and 12 AMP charger. My batteries are charged continually while trolling.

Best of luck!

I run a T9.9 on a 25' PennYan and it works fine. I also use a TR-1 AP and the two together can control the boat in 3-4'. The ability to control your speed and fine tune it is fantastic, the fuel savings doesn't hurt either.

The high thrust motors are designed to push heavy loads at trolling speeds with larger lower units, lower gear ratio's and larger props. It's not all about HP since none of these motors are going to get you over the "hull speed" of your boat unless you can get up on plane. A high thrust 8-9.9 hp motor will probably do as good or better than a regular 15 hp. Also consider the extra weight hanging off the back, too heavy of a motor can cause problems.

Even though I love the "whiff in the air" of a 2 cycle I don't want to smell it all day or listen to one either - go with a 4-stroke if possible.