Splish-Splash, Russell 4-14-12

Fishing Report

LongLine

Well it’s been a long wait but well worth it especially after hearing how well everyone’s been doing. Actually I was happy that the boat didn’t sink and the engine started when I launched at the Genny for the 1st time this year. Guess I was in about 6:00am.

Only one other guy launching in the dark. Lots of driftwood in launch spot #2. No parking machine yet. Slight wind out of the south & overcast then cleared up. Surprisingly it wasn’t that cold. River temp 51F. Here’s the first LongLine shot of the new season:

4-14-12A.jpg

Reports showed everyone headed East past I-Bay so of course, I headed west towards Russell. Cleared the jetty & goosed it to make sure I was banging on all cylinders. Surface dropped to 47F. Fishfinder died so I’m guessing I slowed down & set up in the 20-25 FOW range.

Anyways dropped the first rigg’r to 12 ft with a DW Dolphin back about 50 ft & this guy hits it as I’m setting up the second:

4-14-12B.jpg

Good shoulders. – 9 Lb Brown. Not sure what the circle on him was. He had a lamprey mark on his other side but more forward.

Got another small Brown as I worked west, then I was pleasantly surprised by this guy. (Actually he made my knees wobbly) – 1st King of the year. 8 ft down back about 40 Ft on a Wonderbread:

4-14-12C.jpg (18 Lbs, 35 1/2â€)

Turned around at the ponds, and had two more small Browns on the way back to the Genny. One on a Cindy Long-A off the planner board and the other off the Dolphin. 3 of the 4 Browns had lamprey marks. Salmon was clean. One of them didn’t have a right pec fin. The King did have an adipose fin.

Maybe 6-8 boats fishing the mouth. Pulled the lines at 10:30. Another guy pulling out said he got a couple Browns too.

Great day to be on the water. Luck to all.

Tom B.

(LongLine)